Which installer do I need for 64 bit?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
LameBrains

Which installer do I need for 64 bit?

Post by LameBrains »

Is there a 64 bit version of the new FF?

Will the FF installer on this page install a 64 bit version on my 64 bit Windows 10 machine? Or are there separate installers for 64 bit and 32 bit?
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Do all the add-ons that work with the 32 bit version also work with the 64 bit version?

Finally, is the 64 bit version mature and stable now? Several years ago with the old FF, the 64 bit version was new and seemed to have some issues. I only want to use the 64b version now if it is very solid and stable .... otherwise I would like to stick with the 32 bit.

Thank you.
Frank Lion

Re: Which installer do I need for 64 bit?

Post by Frank Lion »

LameBrains wrote:Is there a 64 bit version of the new FF?

Tried clicking the Advanced Install Options link on your link?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Try https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

Frank Lion wrote:

Tried clicking the Advanced Install Options link on your link?
Okay thank you, I got the 64 bit installer.

I welcome any responses to my other questions.

Is there any functional difference between the 64 bit and the 32 bit and how solid is the 64 bit?

Thanks again.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LameBrains wrote:Is there any functional difference between the 64 bit and the 32 bit and how solid is the 64 bit?
Seems solid enough, but no, I can detect no difference between the two, i.e. the 64 bit seems to have no advantages.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LameBrains

Post by LameBrains »

Frank Lion wrote:
LameBrains wrote:Is there any functional difference between the 64 bit and the 32 bit and how solid is the 64 bit?
Seems solid enough, but no, I can detect no difference between the two, i.e. the 64 bit seems to have no advantages.
Thank you for your help. Just out of curiosity I think I'll start a thread on this topic and see what people come up with. I am setting up a new computer and decided to stay with FF for now. So now it's just about either 32 bit or 64 bit. So far I am leaning towards 32 bit since I don't see any advantage to the 64. Be interesting to see if anyone can come up with a reason to change.

Thanks to you and the others for your help!
James

Post by James »

LameBrains wrote:Do all the add-ons that work with the 32 bit version also work with the 64 bit version?

Finally, is the 64 bit version mature and stable now?
If by Addons you mean Extensions then yes as they are not really dependent on Firefox being 32-bit or 64-bit whether on Windows, Mac or Linux. A few did or does due to using something specific on Windows but is uncommon.

64-bit has been in use for a long time on Linux and Mac however it (Win64) has been stable and available for Releases on Windows since the Firefox 42.0 Release.

One advantage the 32-bit used to have over the 64-bit on Windows is with NPAPI Plugins. The Win64 Firefox only allowed the Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins to run. However Firefox Releases since ever since 52.0 and later (for Windows, Mac, and Linux) has only allowed one NPAPI Plugin to run and that is the Flash Player Plugin from Adobe.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

@AFAIR if one has the 32bit on a 64bit OS, any update, unannounced, will change it to the latter.(not sure which Fx version triggered this)
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

x64 is able to use more memory then x86.
So if you're running into memory related issues...

Otherwise, I'd doubt anyone would know one from the other.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript