firefox 66 how can i limit the disk cache?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mantra

firefox 66 how can i limit the disk cache?

Post by mantra »

Hi
i 'm running Version 66.0.5 under w10 and high sierra
i would like to limit the disk cache , i guess i have to enter in about:config because in the older version i could setup in the preferences (i guess in the older version was in browser.cache.disk.capacity )

how can i limit the disk cache to 350MB for example on firefox 66?
thanks
http://www.pcmech.com/article/clearing- ... he-how-to/
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated
BuddhaNature

Re: firefox 66 how can i limit the disk cache?

Post by BuddhaNature »

browser.cache.disk.capacity still exists in Firefox 66.0.5 You have to enter the value you want in kilobytes. I have adjusted that setting myself and it works fine. That said, I'm on Win7 but I doubt that matters. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache.disk.capacity

350 MB = 358400 KB
mantra

Post by mantra »

BuddhaNature wrote:browser.cache.disk.capacity still exists in Firefox 66.0.5 You have to enter the value you want in kilobytes. I have adjusted that setting myself and it works fine. That said, I'm on Win7 but I doubt that matters. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache.disk.capacity

350 MB = 358400 KB
hi
is the only way to do it?
why do they remove from the options ?
and is there a extension that can do it ?
thanks
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

I had to disable browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled in addition to the entry BuddhaNature mentioned. I can't find an addon that will do it.
mantra

Post by mantra »

siffemoz wrote:I had to disable browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled in addition to the entry BuddhaNature mentioned. I can't find an addon that will do it.
hi
was browser.cache.disk.capacity not enough?
may i know what operation system do you run?
thanks a lot
siffemoz

Post by siffemoz »

I'm on Win7 also. It wouldn't work for me until I disabled browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled; YMMV I suppose.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I'm not sure I'm following this now.

mantra, are you saying you can't find the preference browser.cache.disk.capacity in you FF?
I would also note that the mozillaZine Knowledge Base article I linked to said that for the browser.cache.disk.capacity preference to have an effect the preference browser.cache.disk.enable must be set to true (which it is in my FF).

I would also note that in my FF browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled is set to true and that is the default setting (I never at any time modified it myself).

If it was me with the issue and I couldn't find browser.cache.disk.capacity then for experimental purposes I would just create it myself as an integer preference, reboot FF, and see how it goes from there.

I found one article on why Mozilla commenting on why removed the setting from Options. Said the following:
Mozilla is going to remove this option as restricting the cache space may slow down browser performance and Firefox can automatically reduce its usage if you are low on disk space. So you don't need to worry about it.
(article here: Mozilla to Remove Several Unnecessary Options from Firefox Preferences Window)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox is limiting disk cache space according real disk space, we had that last days here. you cant control it unless disabling it at all, which makes no sense because cache makes firefox fast. it has no gain to reload any file from web. and as Buddha noted it will be disabled for reason.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
mantra

Post by mantra »

BuddhaNature wrote:I'm not sure I'm following this now.

mantra, are you saying you can't find the preference browser.cache.disk.capacity in you FF?
I would also note that the mozillaZine Knowledge Base article I linked to said that for the browser.cache.disk.capacity preference to have an effect the preference browser.cache.disk.enable must be set to true (which it is in my FF).

I would also note that in my FF browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled is set to true and that is the default setting (I never at any time modified it myself).

If it was me with the issue and I couldn't find browser.cache.disk.capacity then for experimental purposes I would just create it myself as an integer preference, reboot FF, and see how it goes from there.

I found one article on why Mozilla commenting on why removed the setting from Options. Said the following:
Mozilla is going to remove this option as restricting the cache space may slow down browser performance and Firefox can automatically reduce its usage if you are low on disk space. So you don't need to worry about it.
(article here: Mozilla to Remove Several Unnecessary Options from Firefox Preferences Window)
hi
i mean i have to disable browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled and after add a value to browser.cache.disk.capacity
i need both to control the cache size
thanks