How to disable the annoying upgrade recommendation?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
firefox_fan2008

How to disable the annoying upgrade recommendation?

Post by firefox_fan2008 »

Hello everyone,
I am using an older version of FF before Quantum release and have no interest in upgrading my current installed version.
I had already disabled any future upgrades in my FF settings. However I am getting this constant annoying recommendation for a while now to upgrade my FF.
How do I get rid of this as I am pretty tired of it and it takes screen space frequently when I start FF.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on May 19th, 2019, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the un-necessary text colouring etc....
firefox_fan2008

Re: How to disable the annoying upgrade recommendation?

To be specific, I have checked the option "Never check for updates" in my FF settings. One would think that by providing this option in FF the development team would respect the user's preference and stop harassing them constantly.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on May 19th, 2019, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the un-necessary text colouring etc....
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

pointless arguing on a software where development has stopped 2017 (!), go on please.
firefox_fan2008

mightyglydd, unfortunately you are missing the point why some users have decided to stick with their pre FF Quantum versions.

You are absolutely correct that newer versions of FF have certain advantages like being faster. However a faster browser does not preclude that it is more efficient for the user.
I did evaluate the Quantum version enthusiastically when it became available. However even faster I had to revert back to my older version as my current installed version is 10 x more efficient than later versions.

Currently I am using Vivaldi (a commonsense Chrome based browser) if I need a faster browsing experience.

Kindly educate yourself before making assumptions and making tasteless wisecracks.
This posting was intended to get assistance, not to draw useless remarks.
firefox_fan2008

Brummelchen, this is a new recommendation feature (in the last few weeks or so) that has been showing up, so obviously they haven't stopped the development. I would have been quite content to have left as is. It would be more appropriate if you would point this to the FF team instead.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

concerning update policy mozilla took their choices, it seems no reverting in the near future. the problem is that your look is still in the past while mozilla look opposite. there are only 2 chioices - stick with the always current built, v66, v67 aso. or stick with the ESR for a year. both have same options which are different from your current. if you feel not convenient you should stick with vivaldi because current options will not change back in the near future. if you want to write directly to developers you should put it here
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
as here dont read any moz-dev. good luck.

btw
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... generator/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

firefox_fan2008 wrote: However I am getting this constant annoying recommendation for a while now to upgrade my FF.
How do I get rid of this .....
Do this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13244207
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
firefox_fan2008

Thanks Brummelchen and Frank lion for your feedback, much appreciated. I'll definitely look into it.

Personally I would love to have both versions (latest and my current version) available side by side. Actually I tried the latest portable version a few weeks back but it started messing up with my FF profile, affecting my older version. So I had to stop running it. The goal is eventually to have the full new FF version installed with a separate profile as well. I've done some research and it seems doable but haven't had the time to get it implemented.

I am very much loyal to FF but it has become more and more difficult to catch up with FF development team as it gets ever involved to have your browser running per your preference due to frequent updates. That was unfortunately the same reason why so many extension developers threw the towel long time ago because they simply couldn't catch up with so frequent update versions. It was sad to remove some of my older great extensions because the developers stopped further support for FF.

I needed to look for an alternative meanwhile, therefore Vivaldi, as certain websites didn't function with my old 56 FF version properly anymore. This wasn't necessarily by choice, rather the path to least resistance while I get the FF situation fully sorted out, eventually.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The goal is eventually to have the full new FF version installed with a separate profile as well.
Install the portable version on a flash drive so it will have its own profile and be unable to interfere with the older version or the profile used by that.
due to frequent updates. That was unfortunately the same reason why so many extension developers threw the towel long time ago

The update frequency had little or nothing to do with the drop in the number of extensions/extension developers. The drop occurred because of a change in the APIs involved in attaching extensions to Firefox, the from XUL to web-extensions.