Following a link on a page and going back returns to top

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pa3fat

Following a link on a page and going back returns to top

Post by pa3fat »

When following a link on a page and returning will bring you back to the top of the page you started from.

This was not the case in previous versions of FF.

Secondly the refresh of a page results in making the page blur and then present the data. What is the use of this. Please revert to previous behaviour. It is annoying.
dfoulkes

Re: Following a link on a page and going back returns to top

Post by dfoulkes »

pa3fat wrote:When following a link on a page and returning will bring you back to the top of the page you started from.

This was not the case in previous versions of FF.
I just tried out your problem in my current Firefox version and do not see what you are seeing. You might want to post a link to a site that this happening.

Secondly the refresh of a page results in making the page blur and then present the data. What is the use of this. Please revert to previous behaviour. It is annoying.
And we can't revert to anything... we are not Mozilla... just a bunch of users helping users.

And... you might want to give safe-mode a try to see if you still have these issues...

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

some pages were "constructed" in real time (most cases javascript) and have no anchor to go back.
pa3fat

Post by pa3fat »

Tried Edge, returns to point of origin.
Tried Waterfox, returns to point of origin

Also tried safe mode, same behaviour you will NOT return to the point of origin. Webpage gets a refresh and you will be on top of screen. This i an unwanted change in my view a major BUG.

How do i raise a ticket to get this fixed in FF.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

How about a link to a specific problem site that you are hitting... in my testing I didn't have an issue as you do.
pa3fat

Post by pa3fat »

www.marktplaats.nl

search for 'hond gordel' (dog belt) and select one in the middle of the list found.
After watching the item go back.

You will see it goes back, screens goes blur (whatever use that has) and stops at the top.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Actually I don't see that. Clicking the "Go back one page" arrow on the tool bar takes me back to the position on the page of the item I selected to view.

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
This is not suggested as a solution but a diagnostic step.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Learned years ago --

Right click on link on the page and select "Open link in new window" or "Open link in new tab", or just middle-click the link to open in new tab.

View destination link in new window/tab. Close when done with it.

Return to original page in its still-existing window/tab. Cursor is still placed where it was before.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
pa3fat

Post by pa3fat »

it worked all before, nothing added only upgraded firefox when updates came in.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Have you noticed Firefox unloading any tabs due to low memory?

Assuming not, Firefox should have cached the results page and go back to the last vertical location. Sometimes this is a bit inaccurate due to delayed image loading. This changed in Firefox 66, as described in the following Mozilla Support thread: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1260527
pa3fat

Post by pa3fat »

Tnx but i only go back to top of the page.

How do i raise a ticket to get this fixed?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Exactly what version of Firefox is doing this?

Also...
I just checked out that page in my latest portable version 67.0.1 but the Portable site may not have the latest ready for release???... then on that main page I moved it down a bit... then did the search for hond gordel and it found a bunch of matches... moved down that page and clicked on an item. Then I hit the back arrow up there on the loc-bar and it went back one page... where it was supposed to... hit the back arrow again and it went back to the proper place... and not blurring at all. Do as Dan stated... see if it happens in a new test profile... test with it as-is.

Plus... it sounds like you've completely turned off caching ... somewhere.

And it seems that you are the only one around here with the issue .. so I doubt that the bug-people will get on the problem ...
pa3fat

Post by pa3fat »

How do i create a test profile?

How do i turn on caching? Where is the button to do so?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

pa3fat wrote:How do i raise a ticket to get this fixed?
No one else who tried the site can replicate the problem, as far as I can tell, so it could be one of your settings.

Could you try:

New Profile Test

This takes about 3 minutes, plus the time to test your problem site(s).

Inside Firefox, type or paste about:profiles in the address bar and press Enter/Return to load it.

Click the "Create a New Profile" button, then click Next. Assign a name like June2019, ignore the option to relocate the profile folder, and click the Finish button.

After creating the profile, scroll down to it and click the Launch profile in new browser button.

Firefox should open a new window that looks like a brand new, uncustomized installation. (Your existing Firefox window(s) should not be affected.) Please ignore any tabs enticing you to connect to a Sync account or to activate extensions found on your system so we can get a clean test.

Do the problem site(s) work any better in the new profile?

When you are done with the experiment, you can close the extra window without affecting your regular Firefox profile. (June2019 will remain available for future testing.)
pa3fat

Post by pa3fat »

@jscher2000,

Followed your steps on the new profile. At least learned something new.

Well it is getting close but still not perfectly on track. It will go more towards the bottom as stated being introduced by version 66.

What does this tell me about the default profile? Any way to 'repair' it's behaviour?