Found cause of frequent crashes . . .

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bruce L.

Found cause of frequent crashes . . .

Post by Bruce L. »

Running latest FF and W10.

FF started crashing a few weeks ago and got to the point of doing it every hour or so. Pretty annoying.

I diagnosed it by going backwards: Disabling one extension at a time. Of course, it came down to the last one, my most valuable one, "ReloadMatic" -- the tab auto-refresher.

I've tried several other refresh extensions but none of them have the options that "ReloadMatic" had, and a few of them didn't even work at all. I'm now running "Tab Auto Refresh" and it seems to be okay, although it doesn't have any real options.

I'd like to go back to ReloadMatic at some point, but should I wait until FF has an update? Anybody else have this problem?
Brummelchen

Re: Found cause of frequent crashes . . .

Post by Brummelchen »

firefox shouldnt crash at all, only the thread with that extension.
we need the crash report!
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Brummelchen wrote:firefox shouldnt crash at all, only the thread with that extension.
we need the crash report!
I sent in numerous crash reports, more than a dozen.
kerft

Post by kerft »

I think he is offering to look at your crash report and give comments about it. Sending in crash reports can lead to bugs being fixed, especially if they are topcrashers, but is no guarantee. And, you will not be contacted about a submitted crash report.
Some recent reviews of the Reloadmatic extension mention problems - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... c/reviews/ I don't know if any have suggestions.
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

kerft wrote:I think he is offering to look at your crash report and give comments about it. Sending in crash reports can lead to bugs being fixed, especially if they are topcrashers, but is no guarantee. And, you will not be contacted about a submitted crash report.
Some recent reviews of the Reloadmatic extension mention problems - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... c/reviews/ I don't know if any have suggestions.
Okay, what do I send and where do I send it? (if it happens again).

Thanks for the link -- there was only one post about crashing problems, no real info with it.
therube

Post by therube »

Presumably crash reports (& plenty of other "telemetry") are being sent to Mozilla (& who knows who else) by default.

about:crashes, post the last few related URLs (here).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

therube wrote:Presumably crash reports (& plenty of other "telemetry") are being sent to Mozilla (& who knows who else) by default.

about:crashes, post the last few related URLs (here).
Yes, I sent all the automatic reports in.

I didn't know about the "about:crashes" thing, but see it now. I will submit them here if it happens again.

FWIW: Tab Auto Refresh has been working flawlessly, and I turned on all my other extensions and no crashes since.

A couple other ones I tried either didn't work at all, or had to be reset each time you opened FF, making them worthless to me. This one is as good as my original (but less options available) but no crashes.
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Someone please tell me what is the point of having this extension so I can make a decision on whether or not to use it. I read the extension info about it, but don't understand the point of it. I sometimes have more than 20 tabs open and cycle through them with no problem, so would the extension still help in some way?
kerft

Post by kerft »

The tab auto refresh extension on a schedule (every 5 minutes for example, or every hour) reloads some of your tabs. Most pages like twitter automatically refreshing, especially when they are the active tab. But some are not and reloading it may be the way to get new information or the latest headlines. So, if you press F5 often to get new data on a page, an auto refresh extension could help you. If you never press f5 or ctrl-f5, you probably don't need one.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i use "tab reloader", but only when using ebay 3-2-1 - mine ;)
Wiggam72

Post by Wiggam72 »

Okay, thanks guys. So, if I get this right, the reason to use this extension is mainly for sites that have frequent updated information such as news sites and seller sites, or I guess even this one since people are always posting here.

I just thought about something. What would happen while I'm typing this? Would it refresh and blink, refresh and do nothing, or, if someone were to post just ahead of me, would it refresh and go to their post, refresh and blink, or refresh and do nothing?
therube

Post by therube »

(
or I guess even this one since people are always posting here
Hardly.
Another coffin that Mozilla's "openness" has nailed shut.

(Same goes for #firefox, IRC.)
)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Bruce L.

Post by Bruce L. »

Wiggam72 wrote:Okay, thanks guys. So, if I get this right, the reason to use this extension is mainly for sites that have frequent updated information such as news sites and seller sites, or I guess even this one since people are always posting here.

I just thought about something. What would happen while I'm typing this? Would it refresh and blink, refresh and do nothing, or, if someone were to post just ahead of me, would it refresh and go to their post, refresh and blink, or refresh and do nothing?
I use it mostly on various forums that I post to numerous times a day. Or on forums like this that I rarely post on, but if I have a problem and I've asked a question and am waiting for some responses.

Some of the extensions will disable refreshing if you are typing. Some will refresh a specific tab no matter what website you have open; some will only refresh that tab if you have the original URL open that you started the refresh sequence with.

FWIW: The best refresh extension was the one that came with "Tab Mix Plus," an extension that gave us numerous options for tabs -- refresh being one among many. I used TMP for years, never had any issues with any of its functions. But it does not work in the past couple of years with the versions of FF since then.