No more "another instance" of Firefox...workaround

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Flycaster

No more "another instance" of Firefox...workaround

Post by Flycaster »

Hope I'm not breaking any FF rules, but I feel it necessary to repost and observation of mine that has not gotten a response as to its validity. I had started a topic in which I described how email links were opening in "new instances" of FF (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3050560), instead of just opening in an already opened FF. And, on my last post I wrote what I thought was workaround to prevent another (and unwanted) window of FF opening when clicking on an email link. Here is that post that has not been responded to:

"Normally, when booting up in the morning, I use a macro to open FF and TB. With both open, I usually first go to TB to check my email. If there is a link in the email, I click on it and another instance of FF opens the link. So I reasoned that maybe I should just open TB, but not FF, then click an email link. Doing so freshly opens FF with the opened link. Clicking other email links now open in the already opened FF and do not open another instance of FF. Next, after closing everything, I did my usual opening on boot up. Now with both FF and TB opened, I clicked a link in TB and guess what? A new instance of FF opened with the link. Check it out."

I'm now running FF 67.0.2 and have reset my macro to only open TB. And when I come across a email link as I read my email, I open it, which in turn opens FF. Thereafter, any other email link that I open, will open in the already opened FF and doesn't open another instance of FF.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
therube

Re: No more "another instance" of Firefox...workaround

Post by therube »

The problem is, with 67, no one knows what is correct anymore.
Everything was correct - for 66 versions, but that is now changed.
So the best you can do, is to figure out some work-around that happens to work for your situation.

Seems to me to be ass-backwards, that you need to change your methodology to accommodate this "newness" - which cannot even be defined.

I'm running FF 67.0.2, x86 - at the moment.
I specifically downloaded that minutes ago (to purposely make it crash - successfully I might add).
Anyhow, for 66 versions, I would copy my existing Profile - a Profile that I had been running Nightly on - nonetheless - that's what I wanted to do & open that in 67x86. But FF complained (go figure) about that. So I took the 'ol screw-you trick to it & opened it anyhow.

So you work around the impediments they put in front of you, the best you can.

You know, when I was young I was an avid fisher.
I'd put the worm on the hook, cast the line, & if the fish were biting, I'll pull one up in no time flat :-).

These days, as I've aged & grown wiser, & as I've taking a refresher course in Fishing 101 (from my local community college, tuition-free, I might add), I do it like this:

I throw the worm in the water, quickly pick up my rod, cast, hooking the worm, reel it back in, cast again, & 9 times out of 10, I'll have that fish on my line - but by that point, I'm too winded so I pull out my bowie knife, cut the line, & say good-luck to the fishy.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LIMPET235

Re: No more "another instance" of Firefox...workaround

Post by LIMPET235 »

FC,
Please, stay with your original thread as posting the same Q? only confuses things.
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 0&start=15

Locking as a duplicate.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)