Re. "installs.ini locked=1" SOLVED

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kukla

Re. "installs.ini locked=1" SOLVED

Post by kukla »

Just updated to the 68, after almost a full year of the 60esr, and find this not seen until now in the profiles folder. As I am running two different Mac desktops, and now each has its own FF profile, named differently, my intention is to use the profile manager to rename both the same and then edit profiles.ini to the same path, so that I can move a profile from one Mac to the other (how I've been running the 60esr from one Mac to the other to keep the 2 in sync., using File Sharing over the LAN.) Currently, for the 68, I need to adjust each FF separately for bookmarks, addons, etc., or any changes.

Question is what to do with this "installs.ini locked," will that prevent me from doing what I propose above? If so, is there some way to override this, or workaround?

Last edited by kukla on July 11th, 2019, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brummelchen

Re: Re. "installs.ini locked=1"

Post by Brummelchen »

it is not recommended to share profiles about different OS. profile contains full path and those are very different for OSX, Windows or Linux. use sync for sharing data.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Does not apply. Same OS on both desktops.
kerft

Post by kerft »

In the past, copying not the profile, but the whole "profiles" folder including profiles.ini would automatically work on the destination computer. Try that first and tell us if it does not work. Rename the apparently unneeded folders instead of deleting them is always best to allow recovery from errors.
kukla

Post by kukla »

Thanks kerft, that was the solution. Didn't need to do any renaming, or edit profiles.ini. The path there was set automatically at the destination Mac. and install.ini reflects the selected profile, as well. So that's a non-issue.

Now that that's taken care of, I can simply move the 68 profile folder over, as I've been doing all along with the 60esr.