Search icons gone after update to FF68

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tomri

Search icons gone after update to FF68

Post by tomri »

Hi,

After updating to FF 68 some of the search engine icons in that idiotically inefficient search box drop down box are gone. Namely the icons for Google, Bing, and Wikipedia. The rest is still there. Does anyone have the same problem?

br/Tom
DanRaisch

Re: Search icons gone after update to FF68

Post by DanRaisch »

Nope.

Moving to Firefox Support.

Did you check under Tools->Options->Search to make sure they don't just have to be selected?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Try to delete search.json.mozlz4 in the main profile folder.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory: Show Folder
therube

Post by therube »

(There is this, search.json.mozlz4 file was reset. All custom plugins gone, but it deals with Nightly & the circumstances are different, so like not the issue.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
tomri

Post by tomri »

Deleting search.json.mozlz4 did not help. I should add that the search engine entries are not fully gone, just some of the icons are not showing, so there are empty fields in the grid. This means even more guessing where to click, on top of the fact that the positions of icons change when the window width is changed (which is an unfortunate feature of the "new" search dialog). The same has happened on two installations of FF, one on Windows and one on Linux. I have set auto update search engines to false. Could that make a difference? And how can I trigger the update/how long do I have to wait before I know? I was thinking the icons are stored locally so no URL updates are needed, but maybe I'm wrong.
Edit: there seems to be another rendering related problem with the search drop-down box: sometimes it is only rendered half way for a moment. It is hard to describe, looks like only the upper half is rendered or the grid rolls down from the top. Have never seen that before in FF.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
Options/Preferences -> General: Performance -> "Use recommended performance settings" -> "Use hardware acceleration when available"
Close and restart Firefox to make the change take effect.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pe ... e-settings
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/up ... celeration
tomri

Post by tomri »

@DanRaisch Problem is still there in safe mode
@dickvl Hardware acceleration is always disabled in my profile.
Thanks
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

Can you try to:
1 - close Firefox
2 - delete extensions.json
3 - reopen Firefox
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The search engine icon data is stored in search.json.mozlz4, so if you do not see them then there is a problem with this file.

Do you see the icons on the about:debugging page?
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

Yes the search engine icons data are stored in search.json.mozlz4 / discussed here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14837888

But.... default Firefox search engines included in omni.ja are considered by Firefox as extensions: see about:support

You cannot disable or uninstall default search engines, but can only hide them in about:preferences.

Then iif deleting search.json.mozlz4 does not solve tomri problem, this is why I propose to investigate a reset of extension file.
tomri

Post by tomri »

Diorser wrote:Can you try to:
1 - close Firefox
2 - delete extensions.json
3 - reopen Firefox
Tried this, no change. Problem might be related to heavy changes in my user.js. Something in FF 68 may have become incompatible, but this is just a guess. Essentially my user.js follows this: https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js.
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

When an extension icon disappears, it sometimes can be solved by just disabling/re-enabling the extension. Sometimes, it does not solve.
Problem for default search extensions: you cannot disable them.

You can also try to delete addons.json and addonStartup.json.lz4 .

You can also try to enable browser.search.reset.enabled in about:config.
tomri

Post by tomri »

Fixed it by editing the JSON inside search.json.mozlz4. What I did is I removed the entry for Bing which I later added back in. That also made the other icons re-appear. It is really unfortunate that there is no GUI in FF to allow full access to the search engines. Business reasons, I guess.
Diorser

Post by Diorser »

Business managed by activity-stream process (see about:config).
The only way to really erase these default search engines is to edit firefox/browser/omni.ja, and delete chrome/browser/search-extensions/ folder.

Code: Select all

zip -d omni.ja "chrome/browser/search-extensions/*"