Spell Check broken?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
miss_kitty

Spell Check broken?

Post by miss_kitty »

Just lately, when I put something in quotes, the spell check counts the last quote as a character and gives me the wavy red line. This just started. I do a lot of 'quotes' yes, and it does the same in this forum.
It's annoying enough to have to add normal stuff, but every time I throw up a single quote mark quote now, I'm misspelling. The double quotes are fine.
Windows 10
Brummelchen

Re: Spell Check broken?

Post by Brummelchen »

using which dictionary? maybe its broken. another extension as a spellchecker installed?
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

Brummelchen wrote:using which dictionary? maybe its broken. another extension as a spellchecker installed?
Just the one that came with the original FF years ago. I haven't messed with it at all.
Windows 10
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

While I never use single quotes I can verify what the OP is seeing testing them.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

RobertJ wrote:.
While I never use single quotes I can verify what the OP is seeing testing them.

I see the same in the latest Nightly. While not the way most of us use the single-quote if you space the end quote spell check not flag the word.
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

TheVisitor wrote:
RobertJ wrote:.

I see the same in the latest Nightly. While not the way most of us use the single-quote if you space the end quote spell check not flag the word.
Yeah. But that's not the way it's supposed to work, and it looks weird because the kerning's wrong. And it wasn't this way a few weeks ago. But thank you for the suggestion. :)
Windows 10
atlanto

Post by atlanto »

This issue is caused by a bugfix, (according to mozregression)
Bug 1418629 - Spellcheck marks lost for words containing apostrophes
and it seems to be intentional. (word-following single-quote is assumed as a part of word instead of ending quotation)

There is a bug report about this also.
Bug 1565919 - Firefox in-built spellcheck for English GB not working properly - single quote marks
(this issue is not specific for "English GB" though)

I can say nothing since I'm not using spellcheck, but that bugfix feels a bit ad hoc...
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

Oh, and the bug report is brand new and unconfirmed--4 days old, just about fits when this started and is probably the same amount of time since my last update. This query shouldn't be here maybe.

Thank you for finding it. I'll just ignore the wiggly lines and misspell a bunch of junk on teh internets.

Thanks again!
Windows 10
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

miss_kitty wrote:Oh, and the bug report is brand new and unconfirmed--4 days old, just about fits when this started and is probably the same amount of time since my last update. This query shouldn't be here maybe.

Thank you for finding it. I'll just ignore the wiggly lines and misspell a bunch of junk on teh internets.

Thanks again!
I just marked the bug as NEW, will see what happens. Chrome works as we expect when using single-quotes
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1565919
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

Thanks! Firefox used to work as expected back in the day, last week. I still love it. That seems to be for English GB--I hope they realise they should check English US, too, because that's what I'm set for.
Windows 10
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

miss_kitty wrote:That seems to be for English GB--I hope they realise they should check English US, too, because that's what I'm set for.
Yes, they know it is for other languages now, not solely English GB. See Jim Jeffery's first post in the bug report. He edited it to account for other 'dictionaries' too. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1565919

In any case someone has picked up the bug to work on it so fix should come along reasonably soon.
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

Thank you. Reading thoroughly on the internet is not exactly a forte of mine...

Thanks Firefox people for your help!
Windows 10
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

The problem with the spellchecker and single quote marks (and apostrophes) has now been fixed in Firefox 69.0 which is being offered for download as of today. Just tested it, works fine. Well done Mozilla!
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

BuddhaNature wrote:The problem with the spellchecker and single quote marks (and apostrophes) has now been fixed in Firefox 69.0 which is being offered for download as of today. Just tested it, works fine. Well done Mozilla!
Thanks for the update. I downloaded it a couple of days ago and hadn't noticed yet!
Windows 10