Continuous crashes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
petergo

Re: Continuous crashes

Post by petergo »

hi

got back, and woke the computwer up, and as always, it was "not responding"
I doubleclicked on the "crashfirefox.exe" file, and something flashed in the backgrounbd, but to fast for me to see what it was.
I restarted FF, openbed a new tab and entered "about:crashes"

Most of them are dated February 2019
The latest, and obviously not today is dated August 2019

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/ ... ee00190810

hope this helps
If not, my next problem is why I can't see the crash report dted this afternoon

kindest thanks, cheers
peter

PS.. I started the app by right clicking and run as administrator
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

You should not have to run the crashfirefox as 'admin', but that won't hurt anything either.

That crash you posted was from 49esr, and is a well known crash that was caused by Flash and has been around for a long time. As more and more folks are no longer using Flash, exept for the rare game that may be out there, most, if not all have removed Flash. I've not had it Flash) on my machine for 3 or 4 yrs now.

If you still have Flash and are not using it, try just going to addons->Plugins and set it for 'Disable' and see what happens.

Meanwhile, try again for another crash. When the crash-reporter pops up be sure to hit the 'Submit' button.
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day Visitor

I checked and the flash is disabled already

I realize the report I sent had an older date, but nothing showed as a report for today

Does the crasher program have to be run each time?
Does it stay open or just flash by?

ok re read your message and you state when the flash reporter pops up, well in my case nothing popped up that I could see
May I kindly ask what I need to do with this then please?

Thnx Visitor
cheers
peter
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

The 'crash-reporter should come up as I recall. Been a long time since had to use it. No, you have to run it each time for it to generate the crash.

EDIT: OK... I just downloaded the crashfirefox.exe for a 'test' and it as you stated just flashes, nothing happens. It should have closed my Firefox and it did not, so due to the age and when that was written it may well be ineffective in crashing a more modern Firefox.

Sorry for the false hope.
petergo

Post by petergo »

on a hunch, and I know very little about techie stuff, I went to the folder Users/Mozilla/Firefox/crashreports hoping to discover something or other

aLL REPORTS ARE DATED fEB 10TH, 2019 (sorry hit caps key by accidnet)

I tjhink I have another problem that FF is not creating reports
Do I need to start a "New Topic", or Visitor can you suggest if Inneed to do something some where, maybe in options?

thanks m8
peter
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

I believe that crash-reporter is enabled all the time these days. I don't see any options on a quick glance where you could of turned it off.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

F_1152915508 -> Flash.

omg...
NPSWF32_26_0_0_131.dll
current: Adobe Flash Player 32.0.0.238

ok, this is really stupid do use both in outdated versions.

omg2
Firefox 45.9.0esr
and faking his user agent here too.

and uninstall winpatrol as it is no longer maintained and has serious bugs after ruiware bought it.

Windows 10
10.0.14393.0 -> 1607 also no longer maintained (EOS 10. April 2018)

some1 get a lock on this bs.
the magic number is 51 and you are probably part of it :p
therube

Post by therube »

(I take it that that was an old crash report, that was just [recently] submitted? So at the time, yes, very well likely it was 45.9. Similarly with OS version & Flash. If not, then you are right.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

the crash is not current and surely not caused from the crash tool, but its close enough not to investigate some more
Date Processed 2019-08-10 16:04:12 UTC
this thread is a complete lie.

i forgot
Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U131
avast still present, and also much outdated
"filename": "aswhookx.dll",
"version": "17.4.3.1767"
windows loaded its latest backup on that machine in juli/17, thats 2 year ago and long before 1607 run out of support
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Brummelchen wrote: some1 get a lock on this bs.
Maybe by Christmas ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Here is an old "recent" crash of mine, for reference, https://crash-stats.mozilla.org/report/ ... 1000190817.
It talks about FF 52.
It is possible I was testing something, & crashed, but I don't recall running 52 of late [on this machine]?
Or, it could have been an old report that never got submitted, that I just thought - what the heck, & sent it in?
(On Nightly at least, I'll get periodic notifications that I have crash reports to send in, & not realizing I had crashed, looked, saw "current" crashes & would have sent them in, & then maybe also noticed some old unsubmitted crash reports, & sent those along too - to avoid a future periodic nag.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
petergo

Post by petergo »

g'day Brummunchen

I am placing you on IGNORE
You are a mean spirited, unhelpful galah!!

caiou
peter
kerft

Post by kerft »

It is strange that the Firefox hangs would happen at the same time of day. Normally to fix problems we use new profiles or Firefox portable. It seems you are afraid to use these since you might lose or change something.
Possible steps forward - no matter what, you should get your important data backed up. If you can't do this yourself, a computer shop can do it for you.
After you are comfortable that you have a backup, then you can be more experimental. Allow windows to update to the most current version and all of its patches (this is a 5gb download and can take a few hours to download and install). Do a virus scan. Test out Firefox portable, knowing that you have a backup. Even, if you feel wild, look at or disable some scheduled tasks.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

I skimmed through this thread and I don't see where you have tried 'Safe-mode' in Firefox.

Perhaps you could enter Safe-mode about an hour before your daily 'freeze' and see if you make it through the period without Firefox locking up. If you do, then we can start whittling down your extensions a few at a time and see if they are the issue. I realize this will take some time, but...I'm about out of ideas.
petergo

Post by petergo »

thanks Visitor

I believe I did try that "idea" way back when, but I do not recall what happened.
Today I will go into safe mode about an hour before the dreaded reoccurred occurs

thank you for patience, and all you kind folks trying to resolve this, it's truly appreciated
thnx, cheers
peter