Have to keep closing firefox if press link/s

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ewanchapman

Have to keep closing firefox if press link/s

Post by ewanchapman »

I'm new to Firefox please forgive me if this seems trivial..............

Can anyone please tell my know why this is now happening almost all the time, and how to stop it from doing this:

I select ' index.html ' from explorer by double clicking, then i get a small windows pop up syaing,

' Firefox is already running, but no responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window.'

Clicking ' Close Firefox ' does just that, and then opens again with the index.html page open.

I'm sure its something i have done, but i don't know what.

Many Thanks
Daifne

Re: Have to keep closing firefox if press link/s

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Firefox Support
kerft

Post by kerft »

There is a bug in firefox where it sometimes thinks shortcuts that run program files\firefox and Program Files\firefox (note the difference in case sensitivity) are different programs, breaking the sharing of a process for them. It will likely be fixed soon, so if you can wait for Firefox 69 on September 3 it may fix it.
If you want to fix it now, uninstall Firefox, remove all links that launch Firefox (taskbar, start menu), set something else to be default browser, then reinstall Firefox and set it as default browser may fix it. This does not delete your Firefox profile which has your data, however making a backup of your profile or profiles is always recommended.
therube

Post by therube »

It may have been that, or any number of profilemania bugs.
But yes, it certainly does sound Profile, Profile Manger related.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

ewanchapman wrote:I select ' index.html ' from explorer by double clicking, then i get a small windows pop up syaing,

' Firefox is already running, but no responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window.'

Clicking ' Close Firefox ' does just that, and then opens again with the index.html page open.
This occurs after you have exited out of Firefox by closing the last window? While Firefox is doing its shutdown cleanup, you will get that message, but usually it takes less than 30 seconds to finish the cleanup.