Force Firefox to ask to remember the password for a site

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
coffent

Force Firefox to ask to remember the password for a site

Post by coffent »

Sometimes Firefox asks if I want it to remember a password for a site, but it seems to be hit or miss. I want it to remember a username/password for a particular site, but it won't ask. In Options, "Ask to save passwords" is checked, and I've checked both the Saved Logins and the Exceptions lists and the URL is not stored in either one. Based on Brummelchen's 10/14/18 suggestion I also tried single-clicking (not double-clicking - that doesn't do anything) the padlock icon for the site, but the popup doesn't report anything unusual.

How can I force Firefox to ask?
makaiguy

Re: Force Firefox to ask to remember the password for a site

Post by makaiguy »

Many sites with sensitive information (such as banks, brokerages, etc) are coded to prevent saving login information. And some with not-so-sensitive information too, it seems. This is for your protection to prevent unauthorized access to your accounts by other people using the same computer.

If you are willing to accept the risk of having this data saved, you SOMETIMES can get around this prohibition (depending on how it was coded on the original page) via a bookmarklet which you activate while on the page, and before submitting your login data. If it works, FFox will pop up the usual "save this login data?" query when you log in.

Here's one good source of bookmarklets:
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
Go there and read up on bookmarklets, then click on the 'Form bookmarklets' link and drag the "Remember Password" one to your bookmark bar.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

makaiguy wrote:Many sites with sensitive information (such as banks, brokerages, etc) are coded to prevent saving login information. And some with not-so-sensitive information too, it seems. This is for your protection to prevent unauthorized access to your accounts by other people using the same computer.

If you are willing to accept the risk of having this data saved, you SOMETIMES can get around this prohibition (depending on how it was coded on the original page) via a bookmarklet which you activate while on the page, and before submitting your login data. If it works, FFox will pop up the usual "save this login data?" query when you log in.

Here's one good source of bookmarklets:
http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
Go there and read up on bookmarklets, then click on the 'Form bookmarklets' link and drag the "Remember Password" one to your bookmark bar.
I think that when websites such as banks or health websites, is a super good thing, not saving the whole login. But, if you use a password manager such as Sticky Password, which is the one I use, it too won’t bypass the logins for certain websites, which to me is great. But, another thing I do is on my iPhone in the notes, I put all the very special websites, plus I will update from time to time. Just a personnel option. 8-)
Pasta88

Post by Pasta88 »

Use the software LASTPASS.
coffent

Post by coffent »

Thanks everyone for the information and the suggestions. I tried dickvl's suggestion of "Save my password", as it is listed as a Firefox add-on, & it seems to work well on the one site I've used it on so far.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

'Way back when, that add-on (or maybe one somewhat similar) gave me problems on some forums where it prevented me from being able to post messages when the extension was active. Can't recall the details as this was years ago. Maybe they've got this fixed by now.

[Edit] I've recalled what my problem with the password saving extension was. If I entered a reply using the quick Post A Reply box at the bottom of the page here on Mozillazine, the Submit button would not save my reply. I had to get to the full message editor by previewing my post and Submitting it from there. If you should run into a similar problem you'll know what is causing it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
coffent

Post by coffent »

OK, thanks for the heads up!
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Best is probably to keep the extension disabled and only enable if you are on a website that requires it.
I do that with most extensions.