Server not found on first attempt, have to reload

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
G00dfella

Server not found on first attempt, have to reload

Post by G00dfella »

I keep getting the "Hmm we're having trouble finding that site" message when I click on a link or try to open a site.
It doesn't every time, but far too many times to not be irritating.
If I reload, then it'll work just fine.
It can happen on all sorts of sites and not just some specific ones.
This has been going on for about 2-3 days.

I think I've had a similar problem a few years ago, and usually these kind of problems haven't shown up on safe mode, so I tried it.
It still happened on safe mode with no addons. Tried it with another profile, still happened.
Tried it with Waterfox...still happened.
I thought it might be a general problem with my computer/firewall and not exclusive to Mozilla products, so I tried it on Chrome, but it didn't happen there.

What could it be caused by? Inactivating the antivirus shield didn't change anything.
kerft

Re: Server not found on first attempt, have to reload

Post by kerft »

In Firefox options go to network and set proxy to no proxy.
If that was already set that way, what antivirus do you use? Inactivating is often not as effective as fully uninstalling.
G00dfella

Post by G00dfella »

kerft wrote:In Firefox options go to network and set proxy to no proxy.
If that was already set that way, what antivirus do you use? Inactivating is often not as effective as fully uninstalling.
Hi!

It wasn't set on no proxy, so I changed to that.
But it still occurs.

Malwarebytes. I uninstalled it and turned off Windows Defender. It still happens.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

G00dfella wrote:
kerft wrote:In Firefox options go to network and set proxy to no proxy.
Hi!

It wasn't set on no proxy, so I changed to that.
But it still occurs.

Malwarebytes. I uninstalled it and turned off Windows Defender. It still happens.

Did you use the Malwarebytes removal tool ? Find it with Google. Also, after making those changes did you 'restart' your system ?
G00dfella

Post by G00dfella »

To be honest, I've been without active antivirus "protection" for a while.
I only use Malwarebytes to scan the computer every once in a while.

I tried it again on Chrome, and I notice that it happens there as well, and even on my phone.
But the difference here is that they automatically reload within a second so it's barely felt. That explains why I didn't notice it the first time because I was opening up links on new tabs without shifting focus to them, and by the time I checked it had already reloaded and found the page.

I assume the problem is with my connection and not the Firefox, computer or phone settings.
There's not much I can do there, besides restarting router and the devices(and contacting ISP), but that didn't fix it.

Until it's fixed by the ISP I'd like for Firefox to automatically reload like Chrome.
Is that possible? I'm not referring to automatic scheduled reloads of all tabs, but quick reloads whenever the server was not found on first attempt.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

"Trouble finding that site" means the DNS lookup (looking up the IP number for your destination site) failed.

Try changing the DNS you're using. There are lots of articles on the web re how to do this, here's one of them: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-chan ... s-mac-osx/
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
G00dfella

Post by G00dfella »

makaiguy wrote:"Trouble finding that site" means the DNS lookup (looking up the IP number for your destination site) failed.

Try changing the DNS you're using. There are lots of articles on the web re how to do this, here's one of them: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-chan ... s-mac-osx/
Thanks! That appears to have solved it.

I actually used Google's DNS for many years, but no longer saw the need for it when I switched ISP about a year ago. I guess it's back to dropping the automatic DNS from the ISP.
But I opted for OpenDNS this time since they seem more stable.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

quad9 (9.9.9.9) is also recommended.
anyhow google dns is very reliable, i dont think it causes your issue.
maybe you need to reset your network connection (in network settings/overview)
if still occurs reset your router/modem to factory settings.
G00dfella

Post by G00dfella »

Brummelchen wrote:quad9 (9.9.9.9) is also recommended.
anyhow google dns is very reliable, i dont think it causes your issue.
maybe you need to reset your network connection (in network settings/overview)
if still occurs reset your router/modem to factory settings.
I know Google DNS didn't cause the issue. I hadn't been using it lately, and I never came across any problem when I used it between 2014-2018.
I opted for OpenDNS because it was supposedly even better, so I figured why not try it.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

G00dfella wrote:I guess it's back to dropping the automatic DNS from the ISP.
The DNS servers for many ISPs are inadequate for their volume of traffic. When they are overloaded the DNS lookup fails.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers