What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kevs

What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

Post by kevs »

I have huge annoying bug with FF. click on link and takes 2 clicks for link to work.

Problem goes away with safe mode.

But I don't now know what to do to isolate whatever it is that makes safe mode conquer the issue. Thanks.
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Re: What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

Post by dfoulkes »

I posted this from a Clippings that I have... note the list of what it does...post back here if more help is needed.

Try running Firefox in safe-mode... NOTE: This is a testing procedure only ... NOT for normal browsing.
-- On the menu bar, click the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled....
Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog. Click continue in Safe Mode and don't check any items.

Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while Single/Double clicking on the icon.
* (option key while starting Firefox on Mac).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>What safe-mode does ..... Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:
* All extensions are disabled. --- * The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
* The default theme is used, without a persona. --- * The default toolbar layout is used.
* The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled. --- * Hardware acceleration is disabled.

-- Safe Mode has no effect on the following --
* The status of plugins is not affected.
* Custom preferences are not affected.

This is the link to the main KB article for Safe-Mode ... but, use the above info 1st...
Safe Mode - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When things work properly in Safe Mode but not in Standard Mode it often indicates that an installed extension is causing problems. Try disabling all extensions but one and then close and restart the program. (Disable them by using menu path Edit → Preferences->Extensions->click on "Disable" for every extension but one.) See if the problem is present. If not, enable an additional extension and close and restart the application. Repeat this procedure until the problem reappears. The last enabled extension will be the cause of the problem.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks D, extensions are add on correct? Tested all them did not help. Is there a document on how to test other stuff one? I have no idea how to do the rest.

And can one do the rest?

Dan you mean add ons? I tested the four add ons I have and the problem persisted. Why doesn't FF just call extensions extensions?
MAC USER
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

9 times out of 10 if it isn't an extension or something someone did in userChrome.css that they have since forgotten about, it's hardware acceleration. You can turn that off in Tools -> Options -> General, Performance. Untick the box for "Use recommended performance settings". Then, untick "Use hardware acceleration when available". Close and restart Firefox (not in safe mode). Some people report that they have to restart their computer to get hardware acceleration to turn off.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
kevs

Post by kevs »

thanks SM, I'll try hardware acceleration again, tried yesterday but this time reboot.

Have you anyone heard of this issue of having to click twice for links to work?
MAC USER
therube

Post by therube »

URL to a page with a link that you need to click twice in order for it to work?

Did you need to click 'Submit' twice to post your reply in this thread?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
kevs

Post by kevs »

SM, ok the unchecking of Use hardware acceleration when available did not work, any other ideas? You anyone else heard of this issue BTW? Thanks! Super annoying.
MAC USER
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, this is the only report we've seen of that issue. Could you identify a specific URL where this is happening, as requested?
kevs

Post by kevs »

No specific URL happens all time. I may finally go back to Safari after 15 years with FF. Thus bug, just intolerable; One other guy on a Mac forum mentioned he has it too.

And also, FF cannot deal with MSNBC video engine and I have to use Safari for that.

If you have any other ideas let me know.. Problem goes away in Safe Mode. What else can I try/ test?
MAC USER
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Does this also happen in a new profile?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manager
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Have not done new profile, I used to have a test profile, but so non-intuitive I can't remember how to test that anymore and what ordeal that would involve. You link is not working.
MAC USER
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You link is not working.
It seems to be working now.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kevs

I reread all the stuff in these posts...

1. You state that you tested your extensions ... how? ...
2. As part of your testing... you could 'move' all items out of your userChrome.css area... just move everything to a safe place... then as stated before by another poster... after moving that stuff restart Firefox in 'normal' mode to see if the issue is gone or not.
3. Yeah, I have the same issues with MSNBC..even in my very trimmed down second profile... even has issue in safe-mode so I use IE for that site. Be nice to not have to do that but... not all is perfect in this world.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kevs

Post by kevs »

Tjhanks D... ok msnbc you know the issue great ...

and now this link click issue.. be honest, is this worth it or maybe easier to switch back to Safari after 15 years. I have loved FF, but Safari has neither of these issues.

I'll wait on your reply on that.... then decide what to do.

Best,
MAC USER