What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mightyglydd

Re: What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

Post by mightyglydd »

1. You state that you tested your extensions ... how? ...

How??
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
kevs

Post by kevs »

thanks Mighy. I did, disabled all four, and then enable each one at a time, and then wait for the problem to happen or not happen. With all four, the issue appeared within a day ot two.
MAC USER
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

That's odd, which Extensions are you using?
@I suppose you could uninstall all four, then re- install them one by one..
kevs

Post by kevs »

I disabled all one at a time, should be enough.
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Please list those extensions.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kevs

Post by kevs »

Alexa.com toolbar
BookMaster Sync
Clear Cache
NoFollow
MAC USER
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Didn't realise anyone was silly enough to install that truly awful Alexa Toolbar. Its always caused problems with Firefox going back as far as I can remember
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah, I tried that ext years ago... I mean long ago.... and it lasted about a day in my system... don't even remember what is so special about it.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Says Alexa toolbar, but I only see a round little a symol in the address bar which I click to see sites Alexa ranking. I don't have full or any other part of toolbar up. Important to have some quick tool to see some sites real traffic.

If you have another better option let me know.

I've disabled it and the link problem still persist.

Anyone still have any idea on this issue?
MAC USER
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

kevs wrote:Anyone still have any idea on this issue?
Uninstall all four? Check for problem? Reinstall one? Check for problem? Reinstall next? Check for problem? Continue until all four have been reinstalled?

Or start a new profile and see if you have the problem. Then install extensions one at a time and check for problem.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
kevs

Post by kevs »

SM, so you are 99% it is extension (even though I disabled them) or a profile?
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

kevs wrote:SM, so you are 99% it is extension (even though I disabled them) or a profile?
You've got an issue that nobody else has seen.. and we don't have the ability to 'look into your profile' ... so, work at your end must be done and specific steps logged so that you/we know exactly what you have done... and their results.

If I had your issue I would at least create (what I call a TEST profile) and do not make any changes to it at all... then use it to go to many sites to see if any of your issues appear....then post back here with results... but use long enough so that you know for sure that your problem doesn't appear with that profile.

I (again) read all the posts and I don't see in any of them where you specifically stated that when you manually disabled all extensions (and I don't mean safe-mode...but disabling them in normal mode) that the problem still existed or not... You may have stated the answer but I couldn't find it... the results need to be known.

How to create a new profile has been previously posted... do it... but you can also use the info in this link in order to run that new profile at the same time as your normal one... just makes testing easier.
Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

As for Safari ... don't use it so can't comment... but the user has to decide for themselves what they can/can not live with... If you've use Firefox for as long as you state ... and you like it... then time needs to be taken in resolving this issue... but, very specific steps are required such as some things I/others have mentioned... how about re-reading this whole thread... see what you might have missed or decided not to follow suggestions... and complete missed steps... know what I mean?
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

OP's first post on this thread; 'It works in Safe Mode' = 99% Solved.

He refuses to do the obvious and has been asked twice to try re-installing extensions one at a time so.............................................
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Yeah, I saw that... but even simple things like removing those four extensions, restart Firefox (in normal mode)... then test it out that way... doesn't look to be accomplished... my thinking is that if the problem still exists then one can 'mostly' assume that extensions were not the issue... make sense? ... and yes, to me re-installing extensions is best done if all of them were removed...(have not seen that answer...I'm old... maybe I missed it) profile tested...if problem is gone then the one at a time process is the answer...but all of them need removing with adequate testing before installing starts.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

then one can 'mostly' assume that extensions were not the issue... make sense? ...
Maybe and maybe not. Some extensions can leave changes in the config settings when disabled, and some even after removing. When things get tricky a new profile can let the user confirm that a bare bones profile has no problem, after which they can add extensions, one at a time, until that new profile matches their intentions.

If the user chooses not to take those actions to diagnose and/or resolve the problem, there's nothing more we can offer.