What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kevs

Re: What things do safe mode do to make issue resolve?

Post by kevs »

I deleted all four extensions yesterday, so far, issue has not appeared, will give it a few more days, week.....
MAC USER
kevs

Post by kevs »

ok issue still remains with 4 add on gone.

TEst new test profile seemed ok. To unrealistic to keep test profile up for long time as has no bookmarks. I need bookmarks.

How involved to get my profile cleaned out? improved?
MAC USER
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Just move the bookmarks from the old profile to the new -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks, Dan, is that it? No other things that I need from old? Oh... user/ passwords will all be gone, right, anything else?

So your guess then is something in the profile, which we don't know what is, it creating that issue? And no way to isolate easily before going to a new profile?

But could it be something in one of the bookmarks? As safe mode and new profile did not have bookmarks.
MAC USER
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Safe mode does have all bookmarks...just a FYI, if you read that transfer doc it contains all the files that you need.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But could it be something in one of the bookmarks? As safe mode and new profile did not have bookmarks.
It's not at all likely that a bookmark would cause problems if that bookmark was not being accessed. In other words, just storing the URL for that site in the bookmark database would not cause problems. Certainly not something like requiring two mouse clicks to activate links as you initially reported.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks for bearing with this guys.. will get rolling and report back... been a long time having to do this new user import...... But I will lose all user/ passwords stored probably? Anything else lose?
MAC USER
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You don't have to lose anything. If you systematically move things from the old profile to new you can evaluate things after each element is moved over to see if the problem reappears. If it does you might be able to back out the last item moved, or at worst, create still another profile and move everything that you moved successfully before the problem reappeared.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Just make sure you copy files from the old profile into the new profile with Firefox closed.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
kevs

Post by kevs »

Thanks Dan/ SM.. Dan do you have list of the things to move? and Dan SM/ how to you copy to new profile?
MAC USER
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

See my post of October 7, above.
kevs

Post by kevs »

thanks Dan, just found this
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 53&start=0

I may not have the stomach to continue down this rabbit hole thanks. I can't make living. Completley exasperated, no more time/ energy, but if someone has a normal fix let me know. NOT going spend hour and hours more unless someone really knows the issue.

No good answer is the lame thread, but confirms, nasty FF bug

Sometimes I have to click on a link twice before FF will open them. Why is this happening?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... ons/889051

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +for+links

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967099
MAC USER
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I'm sure that you noticed that:
1) the first link you posted above ("Just found this") is from 2004;
2) the second link results in a 404 (Page not found) error;
3) the first result in that third link goes to the 2004 report;
4) and the last of your links goes to a thread from 6 years ago and that only 6 people indicated they had the issue.

I can't replicate the problem now but I''m running a Win 10 system, so it could be something specific to the Mac version of Firefox. I can't test things beyond that for you as I don't have access to a Mac. On the other hand, I've seen no other reports of the "double click needed" issue on these forums this year, either from Windows or Mac users. I doubt that it's a major bug in Firefox.

Finally, it would not take hours to transfer files from the old profile (passwords, bookmarks, etc.) to the new profile that was not exhibiting the issue. Reading through the links I posted might take 10 to 15 minutes and copying the files over might take 5.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just a little info... long ago I decided to create a new profile (the old one was just real old with many items left over from 'stuff'). Following the steps outlined in the Transfer doc it took me about 1/2 hour to complete my new profile... but there were a few misc items in about:config that I wanted to match with my old profile... so, a completely new profile took about an hour.... just saying.... plus, it's a good idea to keep the old one around for some time and once all is good.... it can be removed... or saved somewhere.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
kevs

Post by kevs »

This guy versify happens to him right now, though does not have much to say about it:

https://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubb ... #Post52487

That said, besides saying go to post #9 Where is post #9, is there a definitive guide to doing the tedious new profile, no energy for it now but maybe one day.
MAC USER