Webcam Will Not Work With Firefox Under Windows 10

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Dryst

Webcam Will Not Work With Firefox Under Windows 10

Post by Dryst »

Firefox simply will not work with my webcam. I have granted all permissions under the sun to allow Firefox to use my webcam. I have configured specific websites access under Firefox settings. What happens is Firefox attempts to use my webcam, I click all options to allow that appear, I see my webcam active light flash briefly for less than one second, it then goes out and I see nothing at all. This seems to be a Firefox specific issue, because Microsoft Edge does work with my webcam having the same permissions within Windows 10.
Brummelchen

Re: Webcam Will Not Work With Firefix Under Windows 10

Post by Brummelchen »

modell and vendor?
This seems to be a Firefox specific issue
seems not if software is based on activex or other Plugins, which are not usable in firefox. a matter of vendor, not firefox.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

This is a Logitech BRIO webcam. Logitech is a leading maker of webcams, and this is their top of the line model. Other web browsers have no issue at all using the webcam. Firefox is broken with it.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Dryst wrote:This is a Logitech BRIO webcam. Logitech is a leading maker of webcams, and this is their top of the line model. Other web browsers have no issue at all using the webcam. Firefox is broken with it.
Tried 'Google' ? Found this:
How do I allow Firefox to access my webcam?
Firefox Browser:
Click on the site identity icon (the lock symbol) in the address bar. Choose Allow on each menu next to 'Use the Camera' and 'Use the Microphone': Click anywhere on the web page to close the menu, then click the Retry button.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

TheVisitor wrote:
Dryst wrote:This is a Logitech BRIO webcam. Logitech is a leading maker of webcams, and this is their top of the line model. Other web browsers have no issue at all using the webcam. Firefox is broken with it.
Tried 'Google' ? Found this:
How do I allow Firefox to access my webcam?
Firefox Browser:
Click on the site identity icon (the lock symbol) in the address bar. Choose Allow on each menu next to 'Use the Camera' and 'Use the Microphone': Click anywhere on the web page to close the menu, then click the Retry button.
Absolutely useless. My webcam and microphone are both enabled as I previously posted. Firefox is broken.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

So did you try the advice and it didn't work or are we supposed to read your mind?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

malliz wrote:So did you try the advice and it didn't work or are we supposed to read your mind?
It did not work and failed miserably.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

I will post screenshots to show you exactly what happens on this and all webpages that attempt to use my webcam with step by step screenshots of how it is broken:

https://webcamtests.com/

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/5lo ... _fail1.jpg

I click the button pictured above

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/yos ... _fail2.jpg

I click Allow at the pop-up above.

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/yos ... _fail3.jpg

My webcam usage light appears to light for less than one second as I previously posted then goes off. The error above next appears.

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/z6z ... _fail4.jpg

Clicking the lock icon in the browser shows me that the site does have access to my webcam. This is a Firefox issue with using the cam and not permissions related.

I can show screenshots of the latest Opera browser successfully working with this same webcam, but I think you all get the point that I had already posted previously.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on October 20th, 2019, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image tags removed to restore the forum layout.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

The fail3 link above is not correct. Here it is below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zn4 ... _fail3.jpg
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

@Dryst

Just doing some background search - Do you have Flash Player Installed on your system and 'Enabled' ? Seems some webcam tests use Flash...
LIMPET235

Re: Webcam Will Not Work With Firefox Under Windows 10

Post by LIMPET235 »

Plus...
"They" have an email address if you strike trouble...
> info-at-webcamtests.com

Maybe ask them?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

TheVisitor wrote:@Dryst

Just doing some background search - Do you have Flash Player Installed on your system and 'Enabled' ? Seems some webcam tests use Flash...
Yes -- the latest version of Flash is installed, and Flash test works successfully under Firefox and all other browsers installed under Windows 10 on my computer.
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

LIMPET235 wrote:Plus...
"They" have an email address if you strike trouble...
> info-at-webcamtests.com

Maybe ask them?
Why would I ask the site that created this test utility when every single browser works perfectly fine on my computer EXCEPT for Firefox that is broken? This test page illustrates the issue, but Firefox is broken with my webcam all over the Internet. It's only Firefox that is broken and no other web browsers.

I actually did report this issue to Mozilla. Nothing has been fixed.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Dryst wrote:I actually did report this issue to Mozilla. Nothing has been fixed.
Either wait for Mozilla to fix it or use another browser with your webcam.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Dryst

Post by Dryst »

Frank Lion wrote:
Dryst wrote:I actually did report this issue to Mozilla. Nothing has been fixed.
Either wait for Mozilla to fix it or use another browser with your webcam.
This thread accomplished something. Firefox update 70.0 fixed this issue FINALLY.