Slow start with FF 70, otherwise fast. [Solved.]

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: Slow start with FF 70, otherwise fast

Post by Frank Lion »

ghot wrote:I really don't want to make a new profile.
Then do it the geek way -

about:profiles > Open Folder > navigate up to Apps Data or equivalent > Close Firefox > rename Mozilla folder to MozillaGOOD > Restart Firefox.

New profile gets created in the new auto-generated Mozilla folder. Quick and risk free.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

cfkerchner wrote:There is clearly something amiss in the FireFox Version 70 (64 bit) update as is noted and admitted by others in the BUGZILLA discussion thread: https:// bugzilla. mozilla.org/ show_bug.cgi?id=1591691
Bugzilla is a general issues tracker as is Not a discussion forum like here.

Also in case you decide to add comments to the report.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ghot wrote:I'm no expert, but
Trouble is, the people on Bugzilla are and 'me too!!!' doesn't cut it there, unless you've done safemode and a new profile first. See?

Btw on your new profile, if it's hanging, try about:config and toggling security.enterprise_roots.enabled to false. It's not a fix, but will give a clue to a possible one.
ghot wrote:I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that eliminates the profile.
Seriously, and I'm not just saying this, it doesn't.

I've seen prefs in an existing profile that work fine for one Firefox version, but not for another.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ghot

Post by ghot »

OK, here's the plan...

Just made a new backup (with everything up to date except FF, still on 69.0.3)
Tomorrow I will uninstall FF completely, (this includes ALL parts of FF) then install FF 70, and see if the problem still exists.

I'm pretty sure it will because in the bug report about this issue, they did this too. But since they didn't mention how much they uninstalled FF, I will give it a shot.

Side note: Before I made today's fresh backup... I went back to the OCT 13th backup, then updated everything except FF. So if the problem still exists after tomorrow, we know it's a FF/Win 7 issue.

Btw, I use the latest ARIS T2 userChrome.css files. I only "set" about 10-12 things in the userChrome.css file. Can I delete all the "settings" lines I don't use. Just curious about this. I know these files cause no issues in FF 69.0.3 and earlier.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
ghot

Post by ghot »

UPDATE: Ok, seemingly fixed the problem. Aka, so far cannot reproduce it.

1. Uninstalled FRF69.0.3 via Programs & Features. Then opened windows explorer and deleted all the various Mozilla folders.
2. Searched the C: drive for Mozilla, deleted all except the two winsxs Mozilla folders. Btw my profile folder was 484MB.
3. Ran CCleaner and JV16 Power Tools 2011 reg cleaner.
4. Defragged C: and deleted the page file, rebooted, and re-created the page file.
5. Installed FF 70, set it up the way I like, plopped the Chrome folder in place (aris-t2 v2.7.9)
6. The FF 70 install created TWO profile folders... ********.default, and ********.default-release. FF would not function with the -release folder deleted, so I deleted the other one. FF still functions normally.
7. FF 70 also created a pingsender.exe entry in my Bitdefender firewall, which I blocked and everything still functions normally.

Notes: When I uninstalled and removed all traces of FF, I found a registry entry relating to a marshall.dll file. I don't know wtf this is. I just now searched for it on the C: drive and in the registry... no results. Did a Goggle search for marshall.dll and didn't find anything...I could understand. Might be something that the bug folk should check into?

Finally, here is what I have FF 70 looking like on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit...this is exactly how I want it to look. I even got the tabs back on the bottom, where I think they should be.

Last of all... Bitdefender Internet Security 2020 (for about the last 3-4 months), has popped up this warning, when I log in to these forums. This warning doesn't bother me, but it's something that should be looked into... possibly.

Things I don't like about the newest FF 70...

1. I don't like that FF 70 clean install creates TWO profile folders.
2. I don't like that FF 70 clean install creates a pingsender.exe entry in my firewall.

Other than these two things....the FF 70 is awesome. Sites like weather.com are seriously faster than they used to be. As long as the problem in the OP doesn't recur... we're golden. :D
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
ghot

Post by ghot »

Welp, it seems to be working fine. Before I uninstalled FF 69.0.3 my profile folder was 484 MB. This clean install of FF 70 has a profile folder of 38 MB.
I guess maybe it WAS the profile that was the issue. I'm kind of curious as to how my old profile folder got so big... is this normal? If so, what makes the profile folder grow so large? I pretty much do the same sort of things all the time, and it's not that much (surfing wise).
All in all I'm very impressed with FF 70, especially on sites like weather.com. That site used to take a while to load, and each page of that site, took a while to load as well. Now, it's just click, click, click.

My Acronis True Image Home backups are 700 MB smaller as well. And these are full C: drive backups.

All in all I think I would have to give FF 70 FIVE of these....

LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Seeing as the problem is solved, this is being locked to stop any spam from accumulating.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)