Can't Get Past Login Page on Accounts

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SallyW

Can't Get Past Login Page on Accounts

Post by SallyW »

I just set up a new computer and installed the current version of Firefox. When I went to pay bills, I put in my user/password it sends me back to the login page. This is ONLY happening on the accounts I pay my bills online. I can get to the accounts with no problem going thru IE. I don't want to use IE, I'd like to fix what's going on with Firefox. Hopefully it's just a setting in preferences I have set wrong.
Thanks for any help with this!
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Can't Get Past Login Page on Accounts

Post by malliz »

Using any add blocking software?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I just set up a new computer and installed the current version of Firefox.
Did you install any extensions as part of that set up?
SallyW

Post by SallyW »

Ad blocking is turned off.
I'm not sure about the extensions or what those are. When I installed Firefox I just let it do the installation. I didn't do custom or anything.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What security software are you running on that system?
SallyW

Post by SallyW »

Windows defender and Avast (free version)
SallyW

Post by SallyW »

I found Extentions. I only have 2: Adblock (disabled) and Pinterest.
I see Avast Online Security, but it is disabled.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

a) you need to uninstall avast completely + cleaner -> https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
b) you dont need that crappy avast because windows defender is more powerfull and not intrusive -> you are using windows 10.
c) search for a policies.json in c:\program files\mozilla firefox\distribution\ and delete it!
SallyW

Post by SallyW »

Welp, now I'm in a real mess.
Did the program uninstall, uninstalled Avast
I went to the link above, downloaded the uninstall-utility. Ran it and when it went to start in safe mode it just sat there. Nothing.
It rebooted to the windows welcome screen. No words, no options, just the "pretty" picture. I restarted again.
When I did the restart I suddenly needed a password to get back into my computer.
Never had a password before, so after googling figured out how to get a password. When I got the the welcome/password window there were TWO passworded accounts with my name.
I googled how to get into my computer without having to use a password and I had to reset the password to make any changes, which I did, but I still have to use a password to get in.
PLUS! I still can't into my accounts to pay bills. Still sends me back to the log in page.
So now, how do I disable having to use a password to get into my computer and any more suggestions on what's blocking me off my account sites to pay my bills??
Also, When I search "Avast" I still see droppings of Avast on my c: drive.
I still have the Avastclear sitting on my desktop.
I also searched for policies.json and there was nothing. But there were several other .json s listed
SallyW

Post by SallyW »

Ok, I got the password and account thing straightened out. Avast is gone BUT, it wasn't an Avast issue because it would have also effected IE.
I went in and did the remove corrupt cookies thing. Still can't get into these sites.
I uninstalled and re-installed Firefox. While I was looking thru help files Firefox did an update, but it didn't fix anything.
When I first went into the accounts after reinstalling one account (the citibank acct) actually went to my page to pay the bill. The next time I tried it, it looped me back to the login page again. The two accounts this is happening to is
https://citiretailservices.citibankonline
and
https://billnet
I can get into my bank account, I can get into all forum accounts, I can get into my electric company account, I can get into my Chase cc account, I can get to my Amazon account.
I can not get into the billnet or citibank accounts thru Firefox but I can thru IE.
Last edited by SallyW on October 31st, 2019, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

it wasn't an Avast issue because it would have also effected IE.
That's not a safe assumption. An antivirus can react differently to different browsers, recognizing one but not another and particularly not recognizing an update as the same program that was previously authorized.
Since you can access most of the sites you wish to access but not those two, it suggests that something in the coding of those sites could be the cause of your trouble.
SallyW

Post by SallyW »

I understand. Yes I just assumed Avast worked that way. It's uninstalled off the computer anyway.
So if it's a coding thing, how do I fix that?
Before I came for help on this forum, I was on the phone with one of the companies I'm having trouble with and their tech support walked me through some steps and said that it definitely wasn't on their end and that I was having an issue with Firefox.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Both those urls fail to load for me even with Edge
This one however works
https://citiretailservices.citibankonli ... CN_BESTBUY
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Ditto ^ on Firefox v62.

Same error on v70.

Both sites are NOT found.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
SallyW

Post by SallyW »