OK in Windows safe mode - won't load normally

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jbraner

Re: OK in Windows safe mode - won't load normally

Post by jbraner »

Thanks, I'll have a look. The thing is - it works perfectly when you uninstall Kaspersky, then once when you reinstall.
Also, there are other apps not loading (Thunderbird, iTunes and the icloud client interface)
===========
John Braner
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

As an aside, we use Kaspersky Anti-Virus (not Kaspersky Total Security) and have no problems with Firefox or anything else. As I recall, we didn't have to tell KAV not to check the functioning of any other programs on our computers.
Last edited by Diane Vigil on November 8th, 2019, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

Hi Diane - I haven't had any problems either, until last week ;-)
===========
John Braner
Diane Vigil

Post by Diane Vigil »

jbraner wrote:Hi Diane - I haven't had any problems either, until last week ;-)
Okay; I just wanted to point out that we're using different Kaspersky programs (Anti-Virus versus Total Security). Anyway, hope it gets resolved.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

jbraner wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look. The thing is - it works perfectly when you uninstall Kaspersky, then once when you reinstall.
Also, there are other apps not loading (Thunderbird, iTunes and the icloud client interface)
Another link to check: https://help.kaspersky.com/KTS/2017/en-EN/82231.htm Turn off Protected browser in Safe-money

I was reading that some KTS users on MAC OS could not connect to iTunes or the AppStore unless this was disabled. While this is a 'work-around', I was also reading that Kaspersky is aware of the issue as of some 3 weeks ago, no indications were given if/when it might be fixed.
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

Hi TheVisitor,

This is all anti virus related. I've just discovered that turning off Malwarebytes (I've used this together with Kaspersky for *years*) also fixes all my problems!
===========
John Braner
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

jbraner wrote:Hi TheVisitor,

This is all anti virus related. I've just discovered that turning off Malwarebytes (I've used this together with Kaspersky for *years*) also fixes all my problems!
Good find ! I think Malwarebytess just recently updated to 4.0 as well...I used to like MWB, but I was having some strange issues and anymore it really embeds itself into the system making it a bit difficult to remove so I gave up on what used be a good program.
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

My problem happened with MWB 3 and then when I updated to ver 4, it was the same.
Here's what I get:
Kaspersky Total Security ON – Malwarebytes OFF = OK
Kaspersky Total Security OFF – Malwarebytes ON = OK
Kaspersky Total Security ON – Malwarebytes ON = Problems loading some apps (and system reporter runs super slow)

Actually, I just turned off MWB realtime for a couple of things. (hopefully you can see this)
https://snipboard.io/nJjMqU.jpg
===========
John Braner
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

It turns out, my problem was all anti virus related. When I uninstalled Kaspersky, everything started working fine.
Then I discovered that turning off Malwarebytes (I've used this together with Kaspersky for *years*) also fixes all my problems!

My problem happened with MWB 3 and then when I updated to ver 4, it was the same.
Here's what I get:
Kaspersky Total Security ON – Malwarebytes ON = Problems loading some apps (and system reporter runs super slow)

Actually, I just turned off MWB realtime for a couple of things. (hopefully you can see this)
===========
John Braner
costark

Post by costark »

jbraner wrote:It turns out, my problem was all anti virus related. When I uninstalled Kaspersky, everything started working fine.
Then I discovered that turning off Malwarebytes (I've used this together with Kaspersky for *years*) also fixes all my problems!

Here's what I get:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/2 ... with-mbam/

OP should follow Above Thread
Note Post #18 for a To-Do (as desired)
#21 Kapersky Exclusion module for specified Mbam Files
#24 Mbam acks problem with KTS/ Some TO-DO's per Mbam incl'ing Disable Ransomeware as done
#25 KTS User Back-Inst'd to v19 listed and apparently it works til Fix evolves
read any/all as desired
Last edited by costark on November 10th, 2019, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

Hi costark,

That is exactly what happened to me! I wish i had seen this link earlier - I kinda worked this pout for myself, but it was painful ;-)
Thanks.
===========
John Braner
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

An observation...
I would have thought that running 2 A/V's that scan in Real Time would cause conflicts & confusion with any programs that were running.

Seems that my suspicions were correct.
Not a good idea to run 2 similar A/V, Security programs.
Pity that the OP did NOT say whether on not they were running the paid version of Malwarebytes.

There are better free versions available that do not cause conflicts or cause problems with either Firefox or Thunderbird.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

Hi,

I am OP - both KAspersky Internet Security and Malwarebytes are the paid versions and I have been running them together for many years.
something did change last week though - as evidenced in the link mentioned a few posts up.

I agree that it may net seem a great idea to run both together - but you approach it cautiously, then when everything works fine for 10 years, you sort of forget about it ;)
===========
John Braner
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I agree that it may net seem a great idea to run both together - but you approach it cautiously, then when everything works fine for 10 years, you sort of forget about it
Every time Firefox updates there's a chance one of the two of those security programs will choke. failing to recognize the new version of Firefox as an approved program. Sometimes they require an update, causing problems until the vendor releases that update. Other times it is just a matter of removing Firefox from the applications list in Kaspersky and then rebooting the system. Every time one of the security programs updates there is the same type of risk. Given how many problems have been resolved on these forums just by changing settings in Kaspersky or removing it, I'd have to say you were extremely lucky to have a 10 year run without major problems, just with that product. Add in MWB running at the same time and it's almost miraculous!
jbraner

Post by jbraner »

Hi guess I've just been lucky - especially since Firefox updates about every three days now ;-)

I've been using Chrome while things were broken (with Firefox) and I think I'm going to stick with it as my "goto" browser.
===========
John Braner