MozillaZine

Unwanted search suggestions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted November 13th, 2020, 5:11 am

Thanks. I forgot to mention, that when I type HIST, and history.nasa.gov appears, and I hit the delete key, it's replaced by
hist --- Search with Google
and that even ignores the delete key. (and BTW nasa returns the next time HIST is typed)

So setting aside that site suggestion that I can't destroy, back to the unwanted search suggestion: I apologize for writing such a long post, but I've tried everything I've read about to eliminate google from URLbar usage, and wish that I could (but not sacrifice autocomplete entirely). In particular,
about:preferences#search
Radio button on address bar, not search bar
Provide search suggestions - unchecked
One-click search engines - only Google shown, and remove is greyed

Are we simply required to have search engine integration in the URL bar?

jscher2000

Post Posted November 13th, 2020, 10:07 am

The text in the address bar itself is the "autofill" feature (browser.urlbar.autoFill), which is populated from the moz_origins table in the places.sqlite database file. There's no direct access to the moz_origins table through the user interface; Forget About This Site or routine cleaning (notes below) is our only way to affect it.

The top line of the Autocomplete drop-down is explanatory and tells you what will happen if you press Enter in the address bar at that moment. It is not a history suggestion in itself, so Shift+Delete has no effect on it.

To disable searching from the address bar:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box on the page, type or paste keyw and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the keyword.enabled preference to switch the value from true to false

That should restore the ancient behavior of looking everything up as a potential address.

Light database maintenance:

Open Firefox's Troubleshooting Information page using any of these methods:

* "3-bar" menu button > "?" Help > Troubleshooting Information
* (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
* type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter

Near the bottom, there is a section titled Places Database -- that's the file which stores history and bookmarks. Click the button labeled Verify Integrity. There may be a 10-15 second delay before results appear.

If all is well, the report that appears below the button should start with:

> Task: checkIntegrity
+ The places.sqlite database is sane
+ The favicons.sqlite database is sane

Then various tasks should be completed. I don't know whether this cleans up the moz_origins table; there's probably other code that is supposed to do that.

GatesIsAntiChrist

Post Posted November 13th, 2020, 3:30 pm

You really went to work there. That's a great post. I guess I'm just slow on the uptake, but if I'm finally understanding it, that I need to accept that beyond my control the engine as you suggest is bound to populate something in that top line of the dropdown, and that I just need to face it, I'll always need to hit down arrow. So change my "vocabulary" from "evaluate and process the dropdown" to "evaluate and process the 2nd and greater lines of the dropdown". I've been hammering at stopping the top line from giving me something I don't want but my understanding now is that whatever dragon I slay is just going to replaced with something else. (Like when we finally get them to stop destroying humanity over this absurd "flu virus" they'll just instead substitute another... oops, I almost went there).

Anyway your and everyone's hard work gave me many new ideas and options that I would never have landed upon - flipping keyword.enabled, checking "Places" integrity, and earlier, browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites to false and "forgetting" nasa.history.gov, and perhaps varying one-click search engines, or browser.fixup.domainsuffixwhitelist. . I must say that for every bad software feature in other products, firefox must have a hundred or thousand customizable and accessible configuration tweaks. (Check integrity did not appear to reveal problems or affect behavior by the way)

I'm impressed that you understood and explained how autfill is autopopulated, and the many suggestions. Great work.

xanthon

Post Posted November 13th, 2020, 9:49 pm

I clear "Form & Search History" each night.

Return to Firefox Support