Data Breach - Firefox Monitor

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zlaer

Data Breach - Firefox Monitor

Post by zlaer »

I received an email from firefox monitor stating that my email was breached by a site called, PDL. I also went to the ff site to inquire further and found that my email appeared in 18 other breaches/websites.

What can I do about this??? Should I contact these sites responsible for breaching my personal data to complain?

Grumpus

Re: Data Breach - Firefox Monitor

Post by Grumpus »

If you have the Urls you can and know how to work your firewalls you can use the firewall rules to block them.
However that is for a mail client, if using a web based mail, where you open a site and provide your password you'll have to contact the provider.
Contacting those sites might no be the best thig to do if they are the naughty ones.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Hi zlaer, many large data breaches seem to involve aggregators who got your data somewhere else. A few might be actual accounts you set up. For accounts you set up, of course, you would want to change your password as soon as the problem is discovered if it wasn't reset already. For data aggregators, there's little you can do since you usually won't have a relationship with them. However, you are free to complain if you want to.
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

Grumpus wrote:If you have the Urls you can and know how to work your firewalls you can use the firewall rules to block them.
I have to URLs but not the IP addresses. I think I need to know the IP addresses to enter them in firewall rules in win 10.

Also some of the sites look legit, like linkedin and adobe. So I dont understand whats going on here nor do I know exactly how to proceed. Any help?

zlaer

Post by zlaer »

jscher2000 wrote:Hi zlaer, many large data breaches seem to involve aggregators who got your data somewhere else. A few might be actual accounts you set up. For accounts you set up, of course, you would want to change your password as soon as the problem is discovered if it wasn't reset already. For data aggregators, there's little you can do since you usually won't have a relationship with them. However, you are free to complain if you want to.
Do you mean I should change passwords on my email account or only those accounts on those breached sites?

Btw, many are old accounts I dont use anyway. If I delete those accounts would this help?

malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

The very first thing you should have done is change your passwords to something completely different. Close the old unused accounts if you can
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
zlaer

Post by zlaer »

malliz wrote:The very first thing you should have done is change your passwords to something completely different. Close the old unused accounts if you can
Hi malliz. I've actually started to delete my accounts. I had removed 3 today so far.