Tabs Back On Top Again!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Grumpus

Re: Tabs Back On Top Again!

Post by Grumpus »

The tabs are on the bottom for Mint 19.2 but I've lost my page navigation again but it was a shotgun approach in about:config.
The page nav fix on this site had been fixed with "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets" as boolean true but no page changes now.
May be something else. I'll compare some more version of about:config and see if I can spot the diference.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What do you mean with "lost my page navigation" ?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

In Mozillazine if I go to the bottom right of the page where the "Jump to" Box is located.
Clicking on the triangle does not provide the list, there's just a dotted outline.
In getting the tabs on the bottom it's probably something in about:config which may conflict with the older solution.
I started to compare the about:config settings between Mint 19.2 and Ubuntu 18.4.3 installs of Firefox 71.
I created the text files and ran wdiff and have a good output. Ubuntu version doesn't have the nav issue and the tabs are on the bottom.
One thing I noted is whatever I changed affected the background behind the bars at the top and using the light theme returns things to somewhat normal.

Fixed: Something I had changed in About:config.
It's nice to be able to copy about:config to compare copies.

I think threre's a conflict with the system theme as far as the bar background go, FF default theme doesn't override.
Light theme and dark theme in customize do.

Additional This was a new system install so there were no older versions to update. Anything which was fixed or modified in earlier versions was not read by the new Firefox install.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
jsrfo

Post by jsrfo »

New to this forum, and not good at this stuff at all. I struggle every time Mozilla makes a change to either Firefox or Thunderbird.

Anyway, today I woke up to find tabs on the top again in Thunderbird. This usually involves several hours (wasted) trying to figure it out, and generally, by some stroke of fate, I finally get it.

Today, no luck with any of the solutions. I am running Thunderbird 68.3.1, and in the Thunderbird profile, I created the chrome folder and userChrome.css and copied what I thought was the right code from AnayaP's post.

Any help would be appreciated.

On another note, I think AnayaP's comment is valid. There seems to be an overwhelming user preference for tabs below the menu in both Firefox and Thunderbird, and yet it is made so difficult for common users to make that change.

I'm not saying that I'm not willing to put the work in, I've done it at every revision that causes the tabs to go to the top, but I cringe every time I see they have moved back to the top, and just have to ask why, and why it's so difficult for non-programmers to sort this out.

Whatever history is behind it, if code smart people on these forums can do it, then it must not be that big of a deal to Mozilla. So why not make it simple for those users who are not code savvy, instead of relying on putting code in that we don't really grasp. I'm sure to computer/IT/Programming professionals, this is pretty easy to understand, but not likely for most people.

Thanks in advance for any help.
teodorgant

Post by teodorgant »

They are completely deaf to user requests. Having the tabs at the bottom is a much desired option, it is a logical and rational choice to have them at the bottom.
Nothing to do, they do not listen. I think by now they do it simply out of spite, a childish spite to users.

Two recent bugs opened with this request:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1601164
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1605485

WONTFIX
kerft

Post by kerft »

I would say someone should pick a github or other open source posting site to put up some CSS code, which they (the CSS author) will have to fix on almost every release. Those who want this option, if they knew what website to go for their monthly CSS code, at least there would be a routine they could follow.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

With the increasing use of Shadow DOM and moving elements from XUL space to HTML space it can be a lot of work to keep CSS code working.
Probably best is to check the code Aris maintains on GitHub.
The code is rather complicated and includes some extras that you may not want or need.
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... c/css/tabs

This code hasn't been updated for the past two years, so is likely outdated:
https://github.com/Timvde/UserChrome-Tw ... aster/tabs
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dickvl wrote:Probably best is to check the code Aris maintains on GitHub.
The code is rather complicated and includes some extras that you may not want or need.
https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... c/css/tabs
One reason for the complexity is that some people show title or menu bar and others don't.

I try to post excerpt packages here when I remember: https://www.userchrome.org/what-is-user ... movetabbar
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I meant to refer to CSS code that specifies colors for various Windows versions that aren't really about getting the tabs in the lower position, but more about personal appearance preferences.
If you would want to use your own color palette or you are already use CSS code then this requires a lot of work to strip out this code.
jsrfo

Post by jsrfo »

I have to laugh, because 90% of it is WAY over my head.

I am a bit confused about this information. I see some of the help is directed to Firefox, and some to Thunderbird.

What I'm looking for is what needs done to Thunderbird to move the tabs down again. I somehow managed to get it right in Firefox, and am dreadful of the day that Mozilla makes a change where the tabs go back to the top.

Is there a difference on how you do it between firefox and thunderbird?

Each time an update is made, I spend a lot of futile time guessing at how to make it work.

I hear that Mozilla has a deaf ear to this situation, but it just seems asinine from a user perspective to have the tabs at the top of the screen. It's like having toilet paper unwrap from underneath. Usable, but inconvenient.
kerft

Post by kerft »

This isn't the Thunderbird forum, look over there. What may be nice with Thunderbird is that, based on ESR, it only has one real release a year (the rest are just security patches or betas). So, if you fix Thunderbird 68 it will stay fixed for a year, even in 68.x, I expect. If you even want 68 - depending on your preferred extensions, you will want to stick with 60 or earlier. Until Thunderbird 78 comes out, when IMO it will break. Also note that Thunderbird is considered to be independent and not developed by Mozilla http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 9&t=366405
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Is there a difference on how you do it between firefox and thunderbird?

:idea: Disable the Mail Toolbar in Thunderbird. :?:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5