Tabs Back On Top Again!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
makaiguy

Re: Tabs Back On Top Again!

Post by makaiguy »

ARRGH!!! Putting the tabs on top makes NO FRIGGIN' SENSE!

Thanks for the help in restoring sanity to my display.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that for Firefox 72 you may have to use a separate file without the @namespace line and use @import url(); to import this file or maybe place the code in userChrome.css above the @namespace line as that was necessary to make it work properly (Tab bar was on bottom, but some toolbars were on top of each other).
Mudder

Post by Mudder »

Well, the portable versions come out as much as a week later but I'll keep an eye out for it.
bo elam

Post by bo elam »

dickvl wrote:You also need to add a display: block !important; property to this rule for Firefox 70 and later:
Thank you, that worked for me also (Firefox 71). For some reason there was no need to add that line to my css in Firefox 70.

Truly appreciate you posting this simple solution.

Bo
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Thanks to everyone for the fix - cheers all!

Edit:
Remainder of post deleted as I have now fixed the issue.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

dickvl - Thanks - worked in Ubuntu 18.04.3
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
P38Usul

Post by P38Usul »

WTF is Firefox's obsession with not allowing tabs on bottom?
Fanboys....no need to respond.

It's also slower.

One of the nice things about using Kubuntu-Linux is FF messes with the windows version of FF first, so by the time it hits Linux users the windows users have already figured out a fix.
Thanks windows users!
James

Post by James »

P38Usul wrote:One of the nice things about using Kubuntu-Linux is FF messes with the windows version of FF first, so by the time it hits Linux users the windows users have already figured out a fix.
Thanks windows users!
Mozilla makes desktop Firefox for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux as you can see at www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ and all Fx Releases gets the changes at same time.

Since you are using a third-party build it may be possible that they built Fx with their own little changes for a time as some distro provided builds do.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

P38Usul wrote:WTF is Firefox's obsession with not allowing tabs on bottom?
That was decided in Firefox 4, and the preference for switching between two sets of built-in code was removed with the Australis redesign in Firefox 29. If you want to know the reasons, you'll need to crack the history books.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

jscher2000 wrote:If you want to know the reasons, you'll need to crack the history books.
Jun 21, 2010. It's all made perfectly clear here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgtW2Iw-kE :P
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

mightyglydd wrote:
jscher2000 wrote:If you want to know the reasons, you'll need to crack the history books.
Jun 21, 2010. It's all made perfectly clear here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgtW2Iw-kE :P
Thanks for posting that YouTube video.

from a Firefox unofficial 'historian', Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Tried dickvl code in Linux Mint 19.2 and have as of yet been unable to move the tab bar down.
Using the same userChrome file which worked in Ubuntu 18.04.3.
Best guess some parallel setting missed in about:config set previous to the change.
One thing noticed, these issues appear to be affected by a lineage of previous about:config settings.
This also supports the third party builds working differently.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
P38Usul

Post by P38Usul »

James wrote: Mozilla makes desktop Firefox for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux as you can see at http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ and all Fx Releases gets the changes at same time.

Since you are using a third-party build it may be possible that they built Fx with their own little changes for a time as some distro provided builds do.
I can't argue with you because I don't know, but when my FF updates itself (without my permission I might add) and I see that they have moved the tabs back on top, I come here and there has been a fix out for about a week.
So why ever that happens, thanks to those who come up with a fix when they do.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

This will likely happen again in next releases as they are rewriting a lot of components from XUL to HTML namespace and that clashes with the default @namespace line used in userChrome.css, so this line might have to be removed or CSS code needs to be placed above this namespace line or a separate file (loaded via @import url(file.css)) needs to be used without a @namespace line.

Some content is also being moved to Shadow DOM that makes it difficult or impossible to get a proper CSS selector.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

dickvl wrote:This will likely happen again in next releases...
Aris has fixes for Firefox 72 already. I haven't tested:

https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSfor ... r_fx72.css