Extensions No Longer Monitored by Mozilla

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
costark

Extensions No Longer Monitored by Mozilla

Post by costark »

Cookie AutoDelete is no longer monitored by Mozilla and some Reddit guys conclude that means - Don't Install / Use under any circumstances -
Too extreme but I don't know the implications and presume ( lots of presumptions in the news these days) it's an educated guess at best even by experts.
In FF Exceptions Allow for Session and Allow = Gray and White-listing for C AD, though more involved to setup.

How are you reacting to Extensions No Longer Monitored by Moz?
Your advice for Cookie AutoDelete?

Thanks as always!
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
mightyglydd

Re: Extensions No Longer Monitored by Mozilla

Post by mightyglydd »

costark wrote:How are you reacting to Extensions No Longer Monitored by Moz?
At this point anything NOT being monitored by MozCo is a plus.
AMO has always been laced with dodgy extensions.....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I never knew they were monitored. I thought they were like Chrome where the extension gets approved, and then uploaded, and that's it. Unless someone finds something shady in a new update, and then Mozilla or Google investigate, and remove if needed, it will never get found by either Mozilla or Google. Like how Mozilla just removed all those Avast extensions (https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/03/mozil ... xtensions/). That's why I only install from trusted developers, and read all about the reviews, and how many people have issues with an extension before I install/use it.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
costark

Post by costark »

Thanks for the Replies.
I read reviews, too, but felt Mozilla might uncover things not known to even posting "experts" at the time.
Will continue to Use C AD and watch the GitHub Sppt site and comments on the FF Ext page.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

@An old favorite from 11 years ago.... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=502479
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
therube

Post by therube »

Cookie AutoDelete is no longer monitored by Mozilla
What does that mean?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
costark

Post by costark »

therube wrote:
Cookie AutoDelete is no longer monitored by Mozilla
What does that mean?
Don't know what mightyglydd intended but his old Bugzilla link includes a guy advertising a Theme via an Extension, and Security Alarms were raised for that - included forced Search engine change, adware, etc. Those may not be possible now but I presume "Monitored by Moz" would help prevent today's version of those issues then. "Not Moz monitored -Download only if you trust the author" often exceeds the pay grade of many of us to evaluate correctly. That's my best SWAG for the question.
Last edited by costark on December 11th, 2019, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
kerft

Post by kerft »

Only about 100 extensions are "recommended" and all versions of those get manual checks. All other extensions go through an automated check only and show the not monitored warning. Even recommended extensions could slow down browsing (such as dark reader).