Updates Question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
alpine5536

Updates Question

Post by alpine5536 »

Because Ver.71 trashed my Firefox, it changed my user interface and completely ignored my userChrome setting. I reverted back to Ver. 70 and disabled updates using the registry hack. Does this also turn off updates to my extensions and add-ons ? So far I have not noticed any updates for them after about a week and a half. Flash updated okay a few days ago, but have not had any updates on the others. Changing registry value back to 0..still no updates.

The Registry option
Firefox users may also make changes to the Windows Registry if they use Windows to disable automatic updates.
1. Open the Start menu.
2. Type regedit.exe and select the result.
3. Confirm the UAC prompt that may be displayed.
4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Mozilla\Firefox.
5. If any of the keys do not exist create them with a right-click on the previous key and the selection of New > Key.
6. Right-click on Firefox and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
7. Name it DisableAppUpdate.
8. Set its value to 1.
The process disables updates in Firefox. You need to update Firefox manually after making the change, or revert the change by disabling the new value in the Registry.
jscher2000

Re: Updates Question

Post by jscher2000 »

On the Add-ons page, try using the "gear" button to trigger a manual extension update check. Anything?
alpine5536

Post by alpine5536 »

That's how I've been trying to check for updates and nothing comes up.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Flash updated okay a few days ago, but have not had any updates on the others.
If you go to the web site for the specific extensions in question, is there a newer version than you have installed?
alpine5536

Post by alpine5536 »

Good Call....I checked several extensions and all seem to be up to date. Usually the updates come at you at a pretty good pace. Everyone must be busy for the holidays and putting the updates on the back burner for awhile.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

...or else there were no identified bugs to address and no tweaks that had come to the mind of the independent authors. The pace of updates on extensions can be very variable, sometimes frequent and sometimes far between.