MozillaZine

Question on moving Firefox from old to new pc

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
fdm2000

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 8:48 am

I followed a tutorial on how to move my Firefox profile from a Windows 7 desktop to a Windows 10 desktop. Each step went without incident from the AppData folder where I found the Mozilla folder and copied it to a thumb drive. When I open the Mozilla folder to view its contents I see 3 folders:
Extensions (empty)
Firefox-SystemsExtension Dev(empty)
Firefox:
when I open Profiles in this folder there are two sub folders: d407hsx7.New profile and 1evfqeih.default-1426616429732
Do I paste the entire Mozilla folder and contents into the AppData folder on the Windows 10 pc or just one of the above profiles? Only the second one contains the extensions?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Frank

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 9:19 am

First run the Firefox installer on the new computer so that a profile will be created on that system.

Second, confirm which profile is active on the old computer by launching Firefox on that machine and using menu path Help->Troubleshooting information and reviewing the value next to "Profile Folder" (the tenth line of the information shown). Then click on the "Open Folder" button, which will launch Windows Explorer to that active profile. Copy the contents just that folder to the thumb drive.

Third, on the new computer, use the above menu path in Firefox to reach the active profile folder. Close Firefox on that new machine but keep that Windows Explorer window open and paste the data from the old machine into the profile folder, replacing the files created during the installation of Firefox. The profile name on the new system will be different than that on the old but the data will be the same because you overwrote the default (installation) values. Launch Firefox on the new machine.

fdm2000

Post Posted January 14th, 2020, 10:00 am

Again I am in your debt Dan - your method for moving the transfer is much simpler that the method outlined on helpdeskgeek.com.

Will use your method once I start up my new Win 10 pc.

Frank

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 14th, 2020, 10:53 am

You're welcome. Hope it all works smoothly for you, Frank.

Return to Firefox Support