Updating from 56.0.2

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
EdP

Updating from 56.0.2

Post by EdP »

The urgency in updating to 72.0.1 is concerning.

I'm still using 56.0.2 (on Win 7 SP1) and am reluctant to update, but will if I need to. In a couple of weeks I'll be getting a new PC with Win 10 and will install the latest version of Firefox on that machine.

Is 56.0.2 vulnerable to the exploit 72.0.1 fixes?
Is it even possible to update from 56 to 72? Seems like it would be a multi-step process.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

EdP
===========
dickvl

Re: Updating from 56.0.2

Post by dickvl »

Best is usually to update via "Help -> About Firefox" to ensure that all files in the profile folder get updated properly to new schemes and files and lower the risk that something goes wrong.
Also make a backup of you personal data and if you use extensions that store special data then make a backup of that data as well.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
therube

Post by therube »

Yes.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
CaJazzman

Post by CaJazzman »

EdP wrote:The urgency in updating to 72.0.1 is concerning.

I'm still using 56.0.2 (on Win 7 SP1) and am reluctant to update, but will if I need to. In a couple of weeks I'll be getting a new PC with Win 10 and will install the latest version of Firefox on that machine.

Is it even possible to update from 56 to 72? Seems like it would be a multi-step process.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

EdP
===========
Since you said that you will be getting a new PC with Windows 10 installed, it would be best to also update Firefox top the latest version, 72.0.1. Now if that's what you eventually decided to do, you should read up on userChrome.css file, and what you want it to have in it, to customize it how you want. There are many people here who can help you with that issue.
EdP

Post by EdP »

Thanks for responding to my post and thanks for the advice.

I updated Firefox from 56.0.2 to 72.0.1 and of course I don't like it, but not enough to switch horses.

Using chrome.css to customize Firefox is a powerful tool - thanks for mentioning it. Personally, I haven't coded a line since the middle 1970's and I'm not up to delving into the Mozilla nomenclature and syntax. However, I am happy with and appreciative of the many people who are interested in this.

For example, I've been able to set my tabs below the menu bar and curve the tab top edges by using the code provided at https://tinyurl.com/y7auvm4v

I've also set home page to new tab by using cfg/js files as described here https://preview.tinyurl.com/scqzuk8

Now I'm looking to find code that will create a usable status bar. I miss it.

EdP