MozillaZine

Disable check for Updates?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
nohissyfit

Post Posted February 4th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Hi, we have a home network for our IoT stuff that I have built with Arduinos for the IoT and Linux tablets+PCs for display with FFx.

I am using FFx-esr 68.4.1 (or .2) and the auto update is driving me nuts.

Even though there is no Internet connection and there never will be, It keeps popping up "this not up to date," or "Firefox cannot check for updates," messages that cover a 1/3rd of the screen. I have to go to each Linux tablet, hook up a USB mouse+keyboard and clear the message. But every few days it is back again.

I have searched and tried everything like the policies.json but nothing is working. I need to have "never check," or "if no Internet connection then ignore auto-update checks," or make them timeout after 20-seconds or something.

I fully understand the idea behind forcing the update checks, but it does not seem to have been thought through enough. Maybe reinstate the policies.json option.

How can I stop this craziness for our use? I do not want to swap browsers as I have been using FFx for years and very familiar with it.

Thanks

therube

Post Posted February 4th, 2020, 2:31 pm

68.4.2 ESR is the latest, so what would there be to update?

What I do on my end, is I hack channel-prefs.js, pointing it to a dead-end.
Whether doing so would stop any "pop-up", not sure?
(Can't say I've seen popups on my end, so not sure just what they'd look like?)

...\Firefox68.ESR\defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js

< pref("app.update.channel", "esr");
> pref("app.update.channel", "no-i-don't-want-updates");
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

dickvl

Post Posted February 4th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Easiest would be to use a policies.json file to disable updates.
https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templ ... /README.md

You can try to increase the update timer pref (app.update.interval) from twice a day to one year or longer.
app.update.interval = 60 * 60 * 24 * 365 = 31536000
app.update.checkInstallTime = false

nohissyfit

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 3:09 pm

dickvl wrote:Easiest would be to use a policies.json file to disable updates.

Thanks I had tried all of those before posting here.

The policies.json is only compatible with v60 and they mention that stuff may not work in other versions. Well, they got that right at least. :)

I also tried setting the "app.update.interval = 0" thinking that might disable it. Nope, insanity and short sighted programming prevails.

nohissyfit

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 3:17 pm

therube wrote:68.4.2 ESR is the latest, so what would there be to update?

I guess it needs to check to see if there is a xx.x.3

therube wrote:...\Firefox68.ESR\defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js

That "\" looks to be Windows? I am using Linux and have not found a channel-prefs.js

dickvl

Post Posted February 7th, 2020, 9:32 pm

A policies.json file should work in all currently supported Firefox.
Firefox 60 is only mentioned because that is the first release that included policy support, some policies require a later minimum Firefox version.
There as some policies that only work in Firefox ESR and listed in the policy-templates Readme file.

You do need to create the distribution folder in the Firefox installation folder.
If that doesn't work then you can still lock the related pref via an autoconfig.cfg file.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... liciesjson
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cu ... autoconfig

nohissyfit

Post Posted February 8th, 2020, 9:31 am

@dickvl:
Thanks again. I have just downloaded esr 60.9 and will give that a try. The links you kindly provided do not show where to find and/or place folders in Linux. Using "whereis" has returned several folders for Firefox which I had uninstalled before the -esr version. And, "whereis" shows nothing for Firefox-esr.

If need be, I will go back to a version before this nonsense. I seem to recall using 58-esr or 56-esr for quite a while with no problems.

Sadly it seems like Linux barely exists in the Firefox help system. I can't even use Waterfox as the Linux download version of it is broken and has been so for many weeks with no joy in sight of a fix there either.

But thanks for your persistence. :)

dickvl

Post Posted February 8th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Profile stuff on Linux is normally in these hidden locations, see about:support and about:cache.
~/.mozilla/firefox/
~/.cache/mozilla/firefox/

The Firefox installation folder can be any location and depends on where you install Firefox like a 'root' location in /opt if you install manually or /usr if you use the repositories or a location in your home directory.
This install location is also listed on about:support (application binary) in current Firefox releases.
Installing Firefox on Linux is merely extracting the tar.bz2 archive to a specific folder (there is no installer).

nohissyfit

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 8:16 am

dickvl wrote:Installing Firefox on Linux is merely extracting the tar.bz2 archive to a specific folder (there is no installer).

OR, using the mozillateam PPA and let it install it to wherever it does.

Thanks, but for this project I quit and will have to go with my nemesis, google until Waterfox gets it's act together for a working Linux download.

It makes no sense having to jump around all over the help system to find stuff scattered for Linux.The help for Linux is terrible.

mightyglydd

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 8:49 am

Hmm.. :-k None of this thread makes much sense, whole thing's silly,.......... If "help for Linux is terrible" (which IME it's not), use Windows or a Mac...problem solved.
#KeepFightingMichael

therube

Post Posted February 9th, 2020, 12:58 pm

That "\" looks to be Windows? I am using Linux and have not found a channel-prefs.js

Should be in your FF instalDir, instalDir/defaults/prefs/.

Oh, & you would need to make the same change any time you "install" a new version.

Don't you have a search utility in Linux, locate or similar.
Have it look for "channel-prefs.js" (or similar).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to Firefox Support