Search Criteria

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
WaltP

Search Criteria

Post by WaltP »

I came here looking for help with customizing the "New Tab" page and when I entered:
new tab default page
I received the useless message

Information

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: tab default page new.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

So if I wish to find help on using my default page for a new tab, what am I supposed to type in? Quotes don't work. "and" doesn't work.

So how would one turn the two words "new" and "tab" into a searchable item; what uncommon words would work?
DanRaisch

Re: Search Criteria

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you using the advanced search function or just entering the strings in the “Search” field at the right side of this page? In the advanced search it indicates that one can use a + to indicate words that must be found and/or a minus sign before words that must not be found in the results. An asterisk can be useed to find partial matches.
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

I'm using the 'simple' search on the right. All other searches on the web will display hits filtered by the search terms, This one should too. Otherwise, just put a button to advanced search and forget the "Search" field if search terms are generally "too common".
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your advice but we moderators don't have control of the forum user interface and it's doubtful that the Administrator wants to try to change the way the standard phpBB software works. The advanced search is there for those seeking something more than a straight forward search.

Moving to MozillaZine Site Discussion as this has nothing to do with the Firefox browser.