MozillaZine

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
widgetwilk

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 1:28 am

I have 5/6 tabs always open on my browser, now every time I go to each of these sites I have to log in, even if I tick 'log in automatically' I still have to do it next time.
This never use to hapen in the past, so what setting have I 'messed' with? and can I stop this problem?
thanks for any help,

Daifne

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 6:39 am

Moving to Firefox Support

jscher2000

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 7:19 am

widgetwilk wrote:I have 5/6 tabs always open on my browser, now every time I go to each of these sites I have to log in, even if I tick 'log in automatically' I still have to do it next time.
This never use to hapen in the past, so what setting have I 'messed' with? and can I stop this problem?
thanks for any help,

Do you mean the first time you access that site during your session, or every time you return to that tab during your session?

Generally speaking, sites set a cookie so that they can connect each new request from your browser with your previous login. If the problem occurs after exiting Firefox and starting a new session, the most likely explanation is that you lost the site's cookies. That could happen if Firefox is set to clear cookies when you close it, or if you used a private window for those tabs, or if a Firefox add-on is cleaning the cookies, or if external utility/security/privacy software is cleaning cookies.

widgetwilk

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 7:46 am

Well thanks that a lot of 'reasons why' but it has only just started to happen, I have Firefox 74.0
It happen every time I open the browser, all the tabs are there but when I click on them I have to log into the site,

skuddle

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 8:43 am

I have had that problem off and on over the years and it has always been site-related. Sometimes it gets fixed after a few days, other times it takes a month or so.

widgetwilk

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 12:08 pm

Thanks, it's so annoying that now when I leave the computer during the day I don't close the browser down just minimize it to the bottom tool bar.

dickvl

Post Posted March 21st, 2020, 10:04 pm

Are you possibly using "Clear history when Firefox closes" to clear cookies and possibly Site Preferences ?

You might also have a corrupted cookie db.
If clearing cookies didn't help then it is possible that cookies.sqlite in the Firefox profile folder is corrupted and you can try to move cookies.sqlite to another location or rename the file to cookiesOLD.sqlite (remove possible cookies.sqlite-shm and cookies.sqlite-wal temp file as well).

See:
Options/Preferences -> Privacy & Security: Cookies and Site Data: "Manage Data"
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data

widgetwilk

Post Posted March 22nd, 2020, 2:09 am

Thanks, in Tools/Option/Security personal, I have a tick in 'Delete cookies and site date when closing'
and in History I have ticks in all 3 box's, remember, remember and clear, is all that right or wrong??

jscher2000

Post Posted March 22nd, 2020, 8:18 am

widgetwilk wrote:Thanks, in Tools/Option/Security personal, I have a tick in 'Delete cookies and site date when closing'
and in History I have ticks in all 3 box's, remember, remember and clear, is all that right or wrong??

For the first one, if there are sites where you want your login cookies to persist over to your next session, you can add an exception using the "Manage Permissions..." button. The format for listings there would be along the lines of the following, and you would use the Allow button:

* http://forums.mozillazine.org
* https://www.mozilla.org

Sometimes it's also necessary to list the base domain:

* https://mozilla.org

For the second one, click the "Settings..." button to the right of the Clear item. Do NOT clear cookies here. This function does not respect exceptions.

dickvl

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 1:55 am

You should also exclude the Site Preferences as that will remove all exceptions you have created including cookie allow exceptions.

widgetwilk

Post Posted March 23rd, 2020, 5:22 am

Thank you so much think I have almost given up,
in Tools/Options, there are so many box's in each section, I am at a lost as to what should be ticked and what should not,
but I still find 'why' all of a sudden has this happen when I have been using FF for years, always had 4/5 sites open on toolbar when I log in all there and never have to keep, now not a chance. it is annoying.

Return to Firefox Support