Stop the history bar to roll up to latest tab

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
klappa

Stop the history bar to roll up to latest tab

Post by klappa »

Each time I right click and opens any tab in the history bar the history bar roll itself up to show that tab the latest tab visited. It's very irritating. How can i change this behaviour?
therube

Re: Stop the history bar to roll up to latest tab

Post by therube »

I wouldn't call it irritating, I'd call it (well, I'll tone it down to just) a bug.
(Knowing Mozilla, they call it a feature. :sad:.)

How could anyone in their right mind think that current behavior is correct :roll:!

---

Hey, you know what, (& I'm on Nightly), the sort order seems to affect things.
If sorted, By Date, it's looking to (at least mostly) maintain position.
If sorted, By Last Visited, then it always jumps to the top.

Now you might say that if you choose "Last Visited" & you open the link, it should then jump to the top, then being the first item - because it is the last visited.

And that is all fine & dandy - except that is not the behavior a person wants.
A person does not want the site to pop (to the top).
A person wants all to remain - as is, i.e., updating disabled - temporarily, until you force an update, say like with F5 or similar.

(Mozilla, not being a person, but instead a thing...)

(With [History] links opened in a new window, focus is always set to the top of the list.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

The only way to avoid this is opening the history sidebar in a New Private Window to prevent creating a new history entry.
Otherwise a new history entry is created at the top of the list and gets focus.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=892485

A slightly uncomfortable way to avoid this is by copying the entry you want to load, pressing up or down to select the next or previous item, then pasting the URL in address bar to load it. Since the selected item is not the one that was loaded, it will not go up to the top.
klappa

Post by klappa »

therube wrote:I wouldn't call it irritating, I'd call it (well, I'll tone it down to just) a bug.
(Knowing Mozilla, they call it a feature. :sad:.)

How could anyone in their right mind think that current behavior is correct :roll:!
Ask me about it. I just want a normal history bar not different set of pre set of behaviours that will only make it diffucult for others like this.

dickvl wrote:The only way to avoid this is opening the history sidebar in a New Private Window to prevent creating a new history entry.
Otherwise a new history entry is created at the top of the list and gets focus.
That's the only way?

Really i can't stand the way of this behaviour. It's such a bad one it will keep me away from Firefox. Not even Chrome does this.
pintassilgo wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=892485

A slightly uncomfortable way to avoid this is by copying the entry you want to load, pressing up or down to select the next or previous item, then pasting the URL in address bar to load it. Since the selected item is not the one that was loaded, it will not go up to the top.
That's too much for such a hassle for something so little. This really sucks! I don't remember Firefox doing this before. Is this a new thing? Why can't I turn this dumb feature off?
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

It's been this way for almost 7 years, as you can see in the link I posted.
klappa

Post by klappa »

pintassilgo wrote:It's been this way for almost 7 years, as you can see in the link I posted.
Why doesn't Chrome behave in this untuitive way?
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Firefox only shows the most recent history visit and if you open a link then you create a new history item and the previously selected history item you clicked is hidden.
pintassilgo

Post by pintassilgo »

klappa wrote:Why doesn't Chrome behave in this untuitive way?
I don't know, I don't even have Chrome here. But what I remember from years ago is that viewing history in Chrome was incomparably worse than in Firefox.

But I don't like this scroll up behavior either.
klappa

Post by klappa »

dickvl wrote:Firefox only shows the most recent history visit and if you open a link then you create a new history item and the previously selected history item you clicked is hidden.
In a sense it makes sense but they should let you configure that behaviour. Rightclicking and open new tabs in history it's impossible as long as it behaves in this manner.
pintassilgo wrote:
klappa wrote:Why doesn't Chrome behave in this untuitive way?
I don't know, I don't even have Chrome here. But what I remember from years ago is that viewing history in Chrome was incomparably worse than in Firefox.

But I don't like this scroll up behavior either.
Yes Chrome is worse but at least it doesn't autoupdate the history like Firefox does.