MozillaZine

Bookmark Keywords (work-around required)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Oomingmak

Post Posted May 9th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I want to be able to use more than one keyword to open a particular local internal browser page (for example: about:config or a chrome://browser/... page etc.).

Firefox has the ability to assign more than one tag to a bookmark item (you just separate each tag with commas) but this method does not work when it comes to keywords (I tried semi-colons too, just in case).

I therefore tried creating more than one bookmark (each one having a different name) but, because the 'location' entry was the same in each of the bookmarks, whenever I entered a keyword it was applied to all bookmarks that had the same entry in their respective location fields. You cannot enter one keyword for the first bookmark and then a use different keyword for the second bookmark (because the second bookmark keyword will simply overwrite the keyword that you previously assigned to the first bookmark).

Can anybody think of a way to overcome this limitation?

Obviously for web site pages I could just use a URL shortener to make the second bookmark's 'Location' field different to the first one (while still ending up on the same page) but this won't work for internal browser pages.

I frequently use a bookmark that I modified from an example template I found on the web years ago. It contains javascript to open multiple different web sites in different tabs from one single bookmark. This got me wondering whether javascript couldn't be used to open an internal page that is the same as an existing bookmark (because the added javascript instruction would make the contents of the bookmark 'Location' field different, therefore that bookmark could have it's own keyword added). However, I can't test out this theory because I don't know how to write javascript commands, and I couldn't find any suitable templates to use as a guide.

I'm not tied to any particular method of achieving this outcome, so if anybody can think of a solution or other work-around, it would be gratefully received.

jscher2000

Post Posted May 9th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Try adding an argument to the URL such as

about:config?1

Oomingmak

Post Posted May 19th, 2020, 4:43 am

Thank you!

This is a simple but effective solution that seems to work on most pages.

However, when I use it on internal chrome pages (e.g. chrome://browser/content/places/places.xhtml) the added argument affects the page and gives a different view.

Is there another argument that I could use that won't change the page appearance? (so that the various bookmarks give identical results)

jscher2000

Post Posted May 19th, 2020, 10:59 am

What about a hash:

Oomingmak

Post Posted May 20th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Oh, I should have thought of that one myself (because I have seen # used for anchor links while staying on the same page).

As it turns out, it was not the ?1 that was causing the issue of a different view being displayed; it was simply the fact that the url differed in any way at all from the original. So substituting a # did not help.

However, after a bit more experimenting I discovered that even though Firefox retains the last Library layout view that was used, it does so on a per-url basis. So, if you expand a bunch of folders in chrome://browser/content/places/places.xhtml, when you next open that same url the folder view will be exactly as you left it. But if you then go and open chrome://browser/content/places/places.xhtml# then all folders will be collapsed down to root-level.

I had assumed that the modified url would always force the existing Library view to be displayed collapsed, but that's not the case. An alternate url will also retain its folder view, it's just that it retains it separately to the main Library view (because the url is different).

So while this is not exactly what I was looking for, it pretty much does the trick, and it even means that I could choose to assign different Library views to different keywords (with each one being retained independently).

Thanks for your help.

Return to Firefox Support