MozillaZine

[SOLVED] Installing the standard version of FF en-US (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

Post Posted May 24th, 2020, 9:17 pm

LM19.3 version of FF is 76.0 but 76.01 standard version is available from the FF repository. I know that it can be extracted and used from anywhere, but I want a system wide installation to replace the current installation in /usr/lib and /usr/bin. How can I do that with a .bz2 file?
Last edited by ineuw on July 7th, 2020, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon 64 bit, with the latest FF releases (currently 80beta6 en-US).

WaltS48

Post Posted May 25th, 2020, 6:31 am

ineuw wrote:LM19.3 version of FF is 76.0 but 76.01 standard version is available from the FF repository. I know that it can be extracted and used from anywhere, but I want a system wide installation to replace the current installation in /usr/lib and /usr/bin. How can I do that with a .bz2 file?

Not sure when I received the update from the Ubuntu repository, but I have 76.0.1.

Name Firefox
Version 76.0.1
Build ID 20200507114007

When is the last time you checked for software updates?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5

Grumpus

Post Posted May 25th, 2020, 7:01 am

Usually the Linux Mint people are good at keeping up the pace on the Firefox updates.
Maybe just be a little patient, it's usually a plumbing nightmare otherwise.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you

ineuw

Post Posted May 25th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Thanks to all. - I check Linux updates every day, and will wait patiently. My concern was the unwanted language packages that came with Firefox. Downloading the FF repository version avoids this issue. Though when perusing through the Firefox system folders, I came across the unwanted language packages and deleted them after installing the preferred package. There is no harm to the browser.
Windows 10 Pro and Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon 64 bit, with the latest FF releases (currently 80beta6 en-US).

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 25th, 2020, 4:08 pm

The language packs are not native to Firefox they come as part of the Mint Packaging
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

ineuw

Post Posted May 25th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Thanks for clarifying. There is a language identification error at Linux Mint. I selected the US-en language version and alway ended up with the UK + Can English version which is wrong for my work which is the study of the gradual transformation from UK to US English. I suspect that LM is making this decision based of my IP address, since I live in Canada.

Grumpus

Post Posted May 26th, 2020, 6:42 am

Probably the only way to change it would be for you to modify the regdomain= whatever.
you probably know this but type: iw reg get in a terminal, the output will show the regdomaion setting.
A lot of times people forget to change this setting in Linux systems.
You could change it temporarily using iw reg set US or any other country code.
To change it permanently use administrator privilege open a text editor and edit the Regdomain= to the country code in /etc/defauilt/crda
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you

mightyglydd

Post Posted May 26th, 2020, 6:52 am

FWIW, old thread but WFM, presumably the same PITA with Mint ... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1719961
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

ineuw

Post Posted May 27th, 2020, 6:02 am

malliz wrote:The language packs are not native to Firefox they come as part of the Mint Packaging

@malliz - not exactly. US-en language module is the core package of all English language packages, but it's not listed in the language section of the add-ons.

mightyglydd wrote:FWIW, old thread but WFM, presumably the same PITA with Mint ... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1719961

There are complaints about this as recently as a couple of month ago. You can find the posts in the Mozilla support site (mine included).

Also found the UK & CDN language modules in one of the /use/lib/firefox subfolders. First, I installed the US language pack (available in the online extensions), closed Firefox and deleted them and there are no problems. Mozilla knows about the issue because in Windows 76.0.1, US version they still exist but were disabled.

mightyglydd

Post Posted May 27th, 2020, 7:55 am

ineuw wrote:There are complaints about this ....

For the last 10 years..........
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

Grumpus

Post Posted May 28th, 2020, 5:22 am

@inew - after any new install from the repos, before opening Firefox, you can go into the /usr/lib/Firefox and Firefox-addons and dump the additional language packs.
You can also edit .ini files and they will hold for the most part, example in some distros there's a list language hyphenation list you can edit, picked up from Libre Office.
Same for some extensions and search engines.
Depending on how and where you downloaded the Linux OS will sometimes pick a country which is not your own before you make locale corrections.

Return to Firefox Support