MozillaZine

Printing Problems (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Post Posted June 2nd, 2020, 3:58 pm

Windows 10 Home Pro, Version 2004; Fx Version 77.0 (64-bit); Both installed around the same time earlier today.

Page Setup has not changed, but printouts have: The title does not appear at the top left, nor the URL at the top right. Likewise, Page # of # is missing at the bottom left, time/date at the bottom right. This is even true when I edit the article using Print Edit WE. where all of that information shows on the screen in the Preview mode.
Last edited by John Liebson on June 4th, 2020, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 2nd, 2020, 4:30 pm

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yes, that will disable "Print Edit WE" but it will also tell us if there is a conflict with another extension causing the issue.

John Liebson

Post Posted June 3rd, 2020, 4:46 am

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Yes, that will disable "Print Edit WE" but it will also tell us if there is a conflict with another extension causing the issue.

Does not work in Safe Mode.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 3rd, 2020, 4:52 am

Have you tried reducing the magnification % (File->Page Setup) or selecting "Shrink to Fit Page Width"?

John Liebson

Post Posted June 3rd, 2020, 7:43 am

DanRaisch wrote:Have you tried reducing the magnification % (File->Page Setup) or selecting "Shrink to Fit Page Width"?

Magnification was set to 70%, which I have to assume has been set to that for quite a long time; change to 60% made no difference, nor did selecting "Shrink to Page Width."

Just to reiterate, the problem was not there before 0600 local yesterday, or thereabouts, as I had printed a number of articles by then. I started installing Windows 2004 around 0700, and I believe that I got the update to Fx when that process had completed and I had logged on. It was only after I sat down later to read the articles I had printed, including two or three done after the updates, that I found that the upper and lower information entries were both missing from the printouts done after the updates. Given the timing of the updates, I have no way of knowing if the problem is caused by an interaction between Windows 2004 and Fx 77.0 (64-bit), or if it is something in that version of Fx, or a Windows 2004 problem.

John Liebson

Post Posted June 3rd, 2020, 10:23 am

Further problems found: For example, this link prints correctly in Google Chrome, but in Fx, prints only the top of the page (Opinions, title of article, author, etc.):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/02/secretary-esper-you-violated-your-oath-aiding-trumps-photo-op-thats-why-im-resigning/?arc404=true

Other pages have exhibited the same failure.

John Liebson

Post Posted June 4th, 2020, 9:44 am

I was leaning towards the conclusion that the problems were caused by Windows 10 Home Pro Version 2004. A lengthy support call to Brother reinforced that, as the printer was working fine from my wife's computer, and a reinstall of the printer driver helped, but only slightly. A second, long call to an excellent support agent at Dell led him to agree with my feeling that it was 2004 that was causing the problem. He was able to revert my machine from 2004 to version 1909.

Printing restored to sanity, computer user's reset to that state is debatable.

DanRaisch

Post Posted June 4th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Thanks for reporting your findings, John.

Return to Firefox Support