Duckduckgo Extension

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
iancol

Duckduckgo Extension

Post by iancol »

Hi all,

I run Opera as well as Firefox (two users, same PC). I had no trouble adding Duckduckgo as an extension to Opera and thought I'd done the same with Firefox. Unfortunately, whilst it appears in the list of extensions, I can't see the icon on the toolbar, so in practical terms, it isn't working.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ian
LIMPET235

Re: Duckduckgo Extension

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Which Firefox version?

AFAIK, DuckDuckGo is in the list of installed/default Search Engines in Firefox & has been for ages.

Check in your Options > Search section.
You can add more or remove any un-needed ones there.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
morat

Post by morat »

You can also search for "DuckDuckGo" in the about:support page to see if the extension is enabled.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

The "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" extension, or a different extension?

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... r-firefox/
iancol

Post by iancol »

Hi Limpet/jscher,

The Firefox version is 77.0.1 (64bit). The extension I added to Firefox is Duckduckgo Search, same as this: https://duckduckgo.com/?va=z&t=hr which I was using on both packages until recently as a bookmark. The extension is enabled. The default search engine on Firefox was Google. I changed it to DDG and restarted the browser but it made no difference. Interestingly, the extension for Opera is called DDG for Opera ver. 1.6.0.

I've just checked on my laptop, which runs identical browsers but on Ubuntu Linux. It's exactly the same situation as on the Windows 10-based PC.

I have considered reinstalling Firefox on the PC but the Linux installation is very recent.

It may be irrelevant, but the Firefox user (on both computers) has several bookmark folders containing a great many bookmarks. A bookmarks export file is 6MB. The Opera user, with a similar number of bookmark folders but fewer bookmarks, has a bookmarks export filesize of 1MB.

Ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Options > Search > One-click Search Engines - installed search engines are listed there, must have a check mark by them to appear in the tool bar.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 126.0b2, Nightly 127.0a1.
iancol

Post by iancol »

Hi gk et al,

Yes, there's a tick against DDG, but I think I may have cracked it.

In Opera, as described, there's an icon on the toolbar at top right of the page, just the same as for other extensions like Lastpass. In Firefox, I've achieved the same effect by clicking on "Add search bar in toolbar" in Options/Search, which breaks the normal search bar into two. it adds an anonymous search "window" which, if I hover the mouse over it, says "Search using DDG".

I can't see an equivalent in Opera, but this is actually one click quicker than the Opera option.

Thanks for your interest and sorry if I've wasted your time.

Ian
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks Ian for posting your findings & result.
These small probs & their fix may help others.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
iancol

Post by iancol »

You're welcome. It's good to know that help is so easily available here and on similar fora, and is much appreciated.