browser.upload.lastDir

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Killbugs

browser.upload.lastDir

Post by Killbugs »

For some sites, I need the last upload directory to be remembered. This seems no more to happen with the last Firefix versions (now 78.0.2 ×64) :cry: . When Firefox is closed, browser.upload.lastDir (settings) as well as the sites for which this should be stored (groups) and the upload directory path (prefs) are automatically deleted from content-prefs.sqlite. I added the missing key browser.upload.lastDir.savePerSite = True to about:config, but this did not help.
Even worse: the last upload directory info can be manually aded into content-prefs.sqlite, this works fine but only for once: Firefox deletes this again when closing even when the upload sites have permission to store cookies and website infos.
Overwriting content-prefs.sqlite before each Firefox start would work, but this makes little sense unless Firefox is started from another application just to perform the upload action … ](*,)
Is this a bug or just a bad choice from the developers ? Can this deleting of important upload-info be avoided ? Many thanks in advance for any useful hints.
DanRaisch

Re: browser.upload.lastDir

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running any sort of clean up utility like Ccleaner on that system?
Have you tried creating the file user.js to override standard settings on startup? http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file
Killbugs

Post by Killbugs »

CCleaner is a nice app but the problem appears after terminating CCleaner, too (Task Manager - verified !). It doesn't appear that disabling some of Firefox' own cleanup options would help either.

It would be nice if User.js would override the wrong setting. But what should I put into this file to resolve this problem ?

I am now thinking about each time adding the necessary upload source into content-prefs.sqlite by using sqlite3.exe (batchwise with commands file); this should be possible as my Access vba code already starts Wshshell (to change automatically a text file's coding) and Firefox (to the desired login site). But I am a hobby programmer, doing this for the first time could be very time-consuming.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You shut down Ccleaner but it may have already done it's damage. Numerous reports on these forums suggest that the only safe way to have Ccleaner and Firefox is to change the settings in Ccleaner so it touches nothing at all relating to Firefox.
It would be nice if User.js would override the wrong setting. But what should I put into this file to resolve this problem ?
That's precisely the purpose of having a user.js file in the profile folder. Please see the Knowledge Base article at the link I posted in my first reply.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Do you use:

Options/Preferences => Privacy & Security => History => Use custom settings for history => [x] "Clear history when Firefox closes"

If so, click its Settings button and make sure you are NOT clearing "Site Preferences"

Or do you use:

browser.download.lastDir.savePerSite => false [hidden preference that does not normally exist]