Issue_duckduckgo Mycroft plugins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
phkhgh

Issue_duckduckgo Mycroft plugins

Post by phkhgh »

This isn't 1st time I've created my own search plugin on Mycroft Project, or used existing ones from https://mycroftproject.com.

I've looked at a lot of Startpage & DDG plugins on
There's a slight chance I made an error tweaking an existing plugin. I checked against other ddg plugins. Copy the ID #, shown when hover the word "Review" on each Mycroft submitted plugin.
Click "Create/Submit Plugin" link - top of page & enter the copied ID in the new form. The existing plugin becomes your template.

It also could be there's a bug in what appears on screen, when I do a DDG search & from the results page - clicking DDG menu (middle of page AND far right, in Linux) under "Settings."
I always assumed when you do a search with an Fx native or custom created / installed engine, when you click the Settings on the search site results page, the search sites would show the current settings (parameters) of the plugin just used.
With DDG (java script & cookies allowed on their site), it's hit or miss if the settings are the same as in the plugin.

For instance, on a DDG results page, settings may show "Default theme" (white BG) is checked in settings, but clearly it's displaying black "Terminal" theme that I checked.
By contrast, they show "open links in new tab" is "On," - which I entered in Mycroft's form & it works, but the default is Off for open links in new tabs.
So, they show some of my NON-default settings correctly on their settings pages. Others, they show different settings than I entered in the plugin(S).

Q !!! Given the inconsistency, there are some parameters I can't tell if they're being used or not. Some, like theme or # results on a page you can verify. Other parameters that may have privacy or fingerprinting implications, I'm not sure how to tell if my selections are being used.
I looked at my search.json.mozlz4 with addon, "mozlz4-edit." I'm pretty sure syntax of added engines is OK, because I didn't write the code - the mycroft plugin creation tool did that.

On different Mycroft DDG plugins, notice when hovering the domain - duckduckgo.com - some show in the status bar, all parameters used by authors, while other plugins only show the domain.
That may be because a lot of DDG plugins show the same (or many of same) parameters under sections "Search URL" AND "Post Parameters."
When they do that, all parameters in one of those sections display in URL bar, after the site domain. I don't think it's supposed to be like that (with the Open Search plugin).

** I've never seen any where, what is supposed to go in "Post Parameters" & what in URL parameters section. Don't know why people treat DDG parameters differently from Startpage. DuckDuckGo doesn't have anything explaining creating a plugin & didn't respond to a few emails I sent, long ago.

Contrast the DDG plugin behavior with Startpage. Doing a search in Fx, then looking at their settings page, they seem to show the same settings I entered in their plugin from Mycroft.
One reason may be, after you change desired settings on Startpage, they show one long obfuscated string for selected parameters like:
prfe=36c84513558a2d34bf0d89ea505333ad. Most authors & I seem to put that string ONLY under Post Parameters in Startpage plugin. Maybe a few under Suggestions URL - mostly language, # of results per page, etc.

Any ideas specific to a Mycroft DuckDuckGo plugin instructions?
jscher2000

Re: Issue_duckduckgo Mycroft plugins

Post by jscher2000 »

GET and POST are two different types of HTTP requests. With GET, all of the parameters are added to the URL (starting from the ?). With POST, some or all of the parameters are included in the POST body, which the browser sends as part of the request but not as part of the URL.

You can use Firefox's Network Monitor to view requests made in the current tab (after you open the monitor). That should allow you to see the parameters included with the request (Request or Params mini-tab). You might need to click the gear and turn on Persist Logs to account for DDG's redirects.

https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Tool ... rk_Monitor