How to make Firefox look like Chrome ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
OldGrantonian

How to make Firefox look like Chrome ?

Post by OldGrantonian »

I'm giving Firefox a try after about 20 years (for privacy). That's the time I moved in the opposite direction (for blinding speed).

My first impression is that the FF UI looks "thin, spindly, unhealthy, underfed", and so on.

I would be grateful if someone could advise me on how to make FF look like Chrome.

Chrome:

https://imgur.com/dqxR9AC

Firefox:

https://imgur.com/TiAAXLf

Zoom for Chrome is 125%. For FF is 120%. That's the closest I can get for matching. Next zoom up for FF is 133%, which gives a 1.8 inch margin at the left.

Here are differences that I can see:

- The difference in fonts is clear.

- "Yesterday" top L is highlighted in blue for C.

- "All" top L is highlighted in blue for C.

- For C, third row in table is coloured grey.

- Three columns in Chrome are highlighted.

BTW: When I made the change from FF to Chrome 20 years ago, I don't recall seeing much difference between the UIs.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: How to make Firefox look like Chrome ?

Post by malliz »

Seeing Chrome was only released in 2008 I am not too sure what you are going on about. Maybe stop the hyperbole
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Maybe the reporter should try Firefox in safe mode or a test profile.

I see the "New Deaths" highlighted in red and text at 100% looks fine on that site using Firefox 78.0.2, 79.0b9 and 80.0a1 here.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Can't see why anyone would want to mess up Firefox that way but "jedem sein eigenes", or, in French, "à chacun son goût."

Oh, and test current version against current version and I doubt you'll see a lot of difference in speed between the two browsers.
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

@WaltS48
Thanks for your response.
WaltS48 wrote:Maybe the reporter should try Firefox in safe mode...
Done. No change - exactly as screenshot in my OP.
WaltS48 wrote:..or a test profile.
That worked fine.

I made no modifications to the test profile. I now see a page that looks like the Chrome screenshot in my OP.
WaltS48 wrote: I see the "New Deaths" highlighted in red and text at 100% looks fine on that site using Firefox 78.0.2...
I am using 78.0.2. The default (unmodified) profile is what produced the strange FF screenshot in my OP.

Conclusion: Everything is looking fine.

Thanks for your help.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Note that is the view you get when you disable website colors or use a High Contrast theme.
Options/Preferences -> General: Fonts & Colors -> Colors: "Override the colors specified by the page with my selections above"
OldGrantonian

Post by OldGrantonian »

dickvl wrote:Note that is the view you get when you disable website colors or use a High Contrast theme...
@dickvl thanks for response.

I discovered that for myself about half an hour ago. I logged in just now to report it :-)

As part of my FF configuration program to make FF look like Chrome, I wanted my "visited link" colour to be red (as in the Chrome screenshots in my OP).

My current satisfactory solution for Chrome is to use the "Stylus" add-on with the following CSS:

Code: Select all

a:visited { color: red ! important }

For FF, I wanted to use the famous built-in features, rather than dozens of add-ons. But Stylus works in FF as well - with the same simple CSS and no wreckage.

Thanks for your help.
MozillaMonkey

Post by MozillaMonkey »

malliz wrote:Seeing Chrome was only released in 2008 I am not too sure what you are going on about. Maybe stop the hyperbole
He could be living on a planet where one Earth year is equal to 1.67 of his years?