MozillaZine

since 78.0.2 address bar buggy, amazon also gone

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2

Post Posted July 22nd, 2020, 2:47 pm

I had 78.0.1 and everything seemed fine. Then I updated to 78.0.2 and now my address bar is messed up. I started getting junk like "search with google" and "search with amazon". So if I wanted to go to amazon and clicked on it in my address bar it would want to perform a search instead of bringing me to the site.

Not only that but I noticed certain sites I visit were no longer listed.

I was able to use the 'about:newtab' trick to unpin google (or was it youtube?), but amazon remained broken.

I tried other fixes like this without any luck: https://support.cdn.mozilla.net/en-US/questions/1283843

I even deleted all my 'search providers' (expect for ebay as mozilla wont let me delete it). Then suddenly now amazon was flat out gone from my history (common firefox, give me a break).

I even tried completely clearing my history. First thing I noticed is my address bar now sites I never visit (like twitter and facebook). Since then ive gone to amazon many times and amazon flat out won't show back up in my address when I click on the dropdown box.

Ideas? I can't believe its 2020 and they still can't get the address bar to work even half as good as it did a decade ago.

edit: Well If I add amazon back as a search engine it comes back in my address bar. But it comes back broken and useless (only wants to perform a search and not go to the website).

jscher2000

Post Posted July 22nd, 2020, 4:00 pm

The default Amazon and Google search shortcuts just put @amazon or @google in the address bar to facilitate a search. I think they were added to demonstrate that feature more than anything.

You should be able to unpin them, but you also can try this:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.

(2) In the search box on the page, type or paste topsite and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts preference to switch the value from true to false

As for the default popular site shortcuts (like YouTube, Facebook, and Reddit), you should be able to get rid of those via about:home or about:newtab by manually editing the Top Sites section. See: https://support.mozilla.org/kb/customize-new-tab-page Firefox should eventually get your history in there, or you can add sites manually.

B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2

Post Posted July 23rd, 2020, 1:47 pm

Ah that worked, thanks. Not sure why they are messing around with the address bar instead of fixing browser.urlbar.maxRichResults (address bar ignores that setting and only shows 8 items unless you start typing)

I did try waterfox after posting this. It seems promising, but it seems it does not support capability.policy.localfilelinks. So waterfox is kind of a deal breaker for now.

jscher2000

Post Posted July 23rd, 2020, 2:15 pm

B9huP48H743iujXTeLR2 wrote:Not sure why they are messing around with the address bar instead of fixing browser.urlbar.maxRichResults (address bar ignores that setting and only shows 8 items unless you start typing)

In Firefox 79+, the length of the automatically opening Top Sites list will be the lower of

* 8 x browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows
* browser.urlbar.maxRichResults

Return to Firefox Support