Britbox log in not being remembered in FF

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
miss_kitty

Britbox log in not being remembered in FF

Post by miss_kitty »

I have deleted the britbox cookies and let them come reset.
Then, on the advice of Britbox, I did this in Options-Tools:
Then in the button next to History, select Use custom settings.
Turn off Always Use Private Browsing Mode
Turn on Remember My Browsing and Download History
At the bottom of the page, turn on Clear History When FireFox Closes.
At the far right, press the Settings button. Turn on ONLY Cache and Form And Search History leaving the others off.
and it also did not work.

Britbox log in is sticking in Chrome, but it's not my browser for that. Other log ins are working--this one didn't, but I'm not sure how I left it last time. Anyway, Britbox hasn't come up with a cure yet, so I was wondering is anyone having trouble with this?

I also lost some favicons a while ago in my bookmarks for Ancestry that have never come back. Probably a separate problem, but just in case...

It's Windows 10, in case I don't change it fast enough :D
Windows 10
DanRaisch

Re: Britbox log in not being remembered in FF

Post by DanRaisch »

In addition to clearing cookies, did you clear the browser cache?
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

DanRaisch wrote:In addition to clearing cookies, did you clear the browser cache?
Oh damn me, no. It has cleared with my new settings... I will close this browser and clear the cache too.
Windows 10
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

So I closed the Britbox, cleared the cache and removed the cookies again. Then I reopened to sign into Britbox and checked the box to remain signed in, then closed the browser. I waited a minute or so for the browser to totally shut down, and when I opened up Britbox was not logged in. I was logged in here though. So yay.
Windows 10
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can create a cookie allow exception (e.g. via Tools -> Page Info -> Permissions) and use "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" to let cookies without allow exception expire when Firefox is closed.

Make sure you do not use "Clear history when Firefox closes" to clear Cookies and Site Preferences (includes exceptions).

If this still doesn't work then cookies.sqlite might be corrupted and you can try to rename or remove this file in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed.

Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder: Open Folder
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data

The problems with the favicons can be caused by a corrupted places.sqlite or favicons.sqlite file in the Firefox profile folder. You can try "Verify Integrity" on the about:support page.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... functional
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

dickvl wrote:You can create a cookie allow exception (e.g. via Tools -> Page Info -> Permissions) and use "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" to let cookies without allow exception expire when Firefox is closed.

Make sure you do not use "Clear history when Firefox closes" to clear Cookies and Site Preferences (includes exceptions).

If this still doesn't work then cookies.sqlite might be corrupted and you can try to rename or remove this file in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed.

Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder: Open Folder
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... -user-data

The problems with the favicons can be caused by a corrupted places.sqlite or favicons.sqlite file in the Firefox profile folder. You can try "Verify Integrity" on the about:support page.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... functional
Thank you, dickvl. Something did happen--like a big blink or surge or something that wiped out the favicons on FF and Chrome, in my Genealogy folders--crazy, I know. I got the Chrome ones back just by opening the links, but only one Ancestry favicon came back in the FF folder.
This looks like a lot of scary work that I could possibly really mess up.

Thank you too, Dan for helping. I have read and think about this. I have done some terrible things to browsers trying to 'fix' them, beyond clearing the cookies and cache...

If I click 'verify integrity' what sort of anxiety level should I personally run? Running stuff like 'check disc'/'repair disc' makes me want to take up smoking.
Windows 10
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

I just got an update from Britbox
...We are currently working on updating the site, and this has caused the issue with having to sign in each time. We are currently working on a fix...
so it was them all along. Apparently.

Thank you all.
Windows 10
Tushman

Post by Tushman »

I don't understand the problem. Are you saying Firefox does not remember your login credentials at all for Britbox or that you have to login manually each time you visit the site?
miss_kitty

Post by miss_kitty »

Tushman wrote:I don't understand the problem. Are you saying Firefox does not remember your login credentials at all for Britbox or that you have to login manually each time you visit the site?
yep. I explained it above. And it's not problem for this forum, according to them. :)
Windows 10