SOLVED -- Ebay page format messed up in FB

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
DVB

SOLVED -- Ebay page format messed up in FB

Post by DVB »

The last couple of days, intermittently, Ebay's page format has been utterly messed up -- just text. I thought it was their problem, but tonight I had to pay for an item, and couldn't, and couldn't message the seller to tell him.
Eventually I tried Edge, which I normally never use for the internet. Much faster access -- and Ebay was back to normal. It's still messed up on FB.
Any ideas?
Last edited by DVB on November 1st, 2020, 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickvl

Re: Ebay page format messed up in FB

Post by dickvl »

Try to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection and click the shield on the location bar and move the slider to the 'off' position.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/en ... ox-desktop
DVB

Post by DVB »

Nope -- doesn't make any difference.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Clear the Cache and remove the Cookies for websites that cause problems via the "3-bar" Firefox menu button.

"Remove the Cookies" for websites that cause problems:
Options/Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Cookies and Site Data -> "Manage Data"

"Clear the Cache":
Options/Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Cookies and Site Data -> Clear Data -> Cached Web Content -> Clear

Are you using content blocking extensions in Firefox that could be causing problems ?
*https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems
DVB

Post by DVB »

Thanks for these replies.
It can't be the cookies or cache, because these are all cleared automatically when I close Firefox when I'm logging off -- and this problem only occurs when I log on and open Firefox at the start of the day.
Oddly, if I ignore it, a few hours later I can refresh the page and it's (usually) fine.
What do you mean by "content blocking extensions"?
DVB

Post by DVB »

I've found the solution: the Disconnect extension.
I was having problems with another website, and tried turning off extensions. I don't really know much about Disconnect, but I'd added it because of its claim to "Make the web faster, more private, and more secure". I did a quick Google to see what other people thought about Disconnect -- and one of the first comments I saw was "This addon flat-out breaks ebay logins". I looked a bit further and found this at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... s/?score=2
Attention: it blocks some functionalities on Ebay!
I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why ebay didn't load my pictures, it was fault of this addon...
Disconnect disabled; eBay problem solved!
LIMPET235

Re: SOLVED -- Ebay page format messed up in FB

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi DVB,
Many thanks for posting your results of the cause.

May/will help others that strike the same problem.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Gwaihir

Post by Gwaihir »

Rather a late addition to this thread I know but I've been trying to find a fix for this problem for ages and even resorted to creating a new profile but it was a faff having to switch to it every time I wanted to use Ebay. I've only just found this thread and I'm delighted to report that turning off Disconnect has fixed it for me also.

Grateful thanks to DVB. =D>
Best regards,

Gwaihir.
DVB

Post by DVB »

Very glad to have been of service. I've received so much help on this forum over the years, it's good to finally be able to give a tiny bit back!