Saved logins

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ashleyj

Saved logins

Post by Ashleyj »

I am having a strange issue with some saved logins since the update to version 81 that seems to happen with only some websites, and always the same ones.

I have custom settings for clearing history on shut-down but I have it set to clear only download and search history and cache so all active logins should be retained.

As I said it is only with some websites - Gmail, Google, Amazon and Facebook are the main culprits. About 80% of the time when I visit any of these I found I have to log back in despite not having logged out on the previous visit. Other sites seem to be unaffected - here for instance I had not visited for some while but the login was still active.

It is not a huge problem as I can always log back in but just puzzled as to why this has suddenly started and why it's always the same websites.

Any ideas?
dickvl

Re: Saved logins

Post by dickvl »

Do you have created a cookie allow exception for these websites ?

Did you try to leave tabs open and let session restore handle the cookies ?

This feature only works if you keep these 'remember me' cookies.
If the settings in Firefox are OK then you may have external cleanup software causing this failure.
Ashleyj

Post by Ashleyj »

Yes cookies are allowed for these websites, and I do not delete cookies on closing.

As I said it only seems to have started when I updated to version 81. All my settings are those that were in place prior to the update and I have not changed anything recently. It's odd that it only seems to affect those few sites.
Portnawak

Post by Portnawak »

I've been having the same problem for several weeks now, mostly with Amazon, Youtube, Yahoo mail, when with the other websites I stay logged. I hope the new 82 version solves this problem.

EDIT: Nope, still the same problem with the 82 version.
xanthon

Post by xanthon »

I haven't had any issues with gmail or Yahoo mail. Perhaps you should check your settings in about:preferences#privacy
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try to set privacy.purge_trackers.enabled to false on the about:config page.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ab ... or-firefox
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Everyone who clears history at shutdown, try this:
dickvl wrote:You can try to set privacy.purge_trackers.enabled to false on the about:config page.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/about-co ... or-firefox
Firefox recently enabled a new feature to clear first party tracking cookies. Firefox first checks whether you visited the site in the past 30 days which is determined from your history. No history for the site, goodbye cookies.
Portnawak

Post by Portnawak »

jscher2000 wrote: Firefox recently enabled a new feature to clear first party tracking cookies. Firefox first checks whether you visited the site in the past 30 days which is determined from your history. No history for the site, goodbye cookies.
I go to Yahoo mail every day so it doesn't seem to be the reason.

I'm going to try what dickvl suggested and I'll keep you posted.
Portnawak

Post by Portnawak »

Sorry for the double post, but it seems that changing privacy.purge_trackers.enabled to false in about:config has done the trick. Thanks.