Lockwise and multiple same usernames

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
arturox

Lockwise and multiple same usernames

Post by arturox »

I subscribe to a number of separate "Things" hosted by a single company (silly example) http://stuffstuff.co.uk.
My user name for each of the separate things is "mr-silly@silly.co.uk" and the only thing that differentiates them is that each "Thing" requires a different password.

Thing 1 Username: mr-silly@silly.co.uk Password: 1sillything
Thing 2 Username: mr-silly@silly.co.uk Password: 2anothersillything
Thing 3 Username: mr-silly@silly.co.uk Password: 3moresillythings

and so on...

Unfortunately this Lockwise thing will not permit this to happen, presenting the following stupid message.

"An entry for http://stuffstuff.co.uk with that username already exists. Go to existing entry?"

How do I get around this Lockwise silliness?

The email address is required as the user name by the company.

Don't suggest having a different email address for each user name, that is not possible.

While the question maybe posed in a silly manner :) I am quite serious about the problem.
Thanks
Ax
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Lockwise and multiple same usernames

Post by malliz »

Anybody who set up a system where you could use identical user-names for separate accounts knows nothing about security. Plus you were at fault using identical usernames how difficult would it have been to append 1 2 and 3?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I'm curious how you would identify/differentiate a login if all the usernames are the same.

I would still suggest to edit the usernames in Lockwise and add some identification at the start (or) end and remove this before submitting the login form.
That way at least you have stored the passwords.
arturox

Post by arturox »

malliz wrote:Anybody who set up a system where you could use identical user-names for separate accounts knows nothing about security. Plus you were at fault using identical usernames how difficult would it have been to append 1 2 and 3?
I don't understand?
The login is a combination of the Username (email address) and password, it the two don't match at the other end... No access!

mr-silly@silly.co.uk is the email address and username, if I modify the username it'll not match the password server side... No access!

mr-silly@silly.co.uk is the only email address available, there are no mr-silly1@silly.co.uk or mr-silly2@silly.co.uk addresses.

Ax
arturox

Post by arturox »

dickvl wrote:I'm curious how you would identify/differentiate a login if all the usernames are the same.

I would still suggest to edit the usernames in Lockwise and add some identification at the start (or) end and remove this before submitting the login form.
That way at least you have stored the passwords.
Mmnnn! Interesting thought, bit of a rigmarole every time I want to login, but worth a try... Anything to circumvent Lockwise. ;-)

Ax
arturox

Post by arturox »

dickvl wrote:I'm curious how you would identify/differentiate a login if all the usernames are the same.
In Lockwise you can't and that's also a problem as there's no additional field in Lockwise to add a title/memonic.

Lockwise is not at all user useful... additionally in Edit mode you can edit the Username and password entries, but you can't edit the URL.

I'm going to give the suggestion to edit the username a try later... by adding a single suffix to each username as suggested.

Ax
arturox

Post by arturox »

malliz wrote:Anybody who set up a system where you could use identical user-names for separate accounts knows nothing about security. Plus you were at fault using identical usernames how difficult would it have been to append 1 2 and 3?
An additional thought...

Because a lot of places require the username to be the email address, you don't get a choice in the matter, I guess that aspect is quite trivial as a security hazzard.
As long as the passwords are different and robust enough, then the main security aspect is taken care of.

Ax

The problem is with Lockwise and the problem only surfaces with multiple usernames attached to one URL.

I have multiple other accounts that use the same email address/username but they are each only attached to one URL so Thingwise doesn't moan at that.

Ax
morat

Post by morat »

Can you add extra characters that the email server ignores to your email address?

* append a plus sign and any combination of words or numbers after your email address
* insert one or several dots anywhere in your email address

Official Gmail Blog
http://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-h ... -your.html
arturox

Post by arturox »

morat wrote:Can you add extra characters that the email server ignores to your email address?
'Tiz an interesting idea but as I understand it, a users email address is absolute and if you change it even by one character of whatever, it is no longer absolute to that user. Or as was pointed out to me elsewhere... Becomes some other persons email address.

I'm not a tech person, just a user and abuser of computers, so I can only go on what I've been told...

Ax