MozillaZine

Shortcut switch to open a second new instance of Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
c627627

Post Posted October 25th, 2020, 5:57 pm

When Firefox portable is open and I try to double click on Firefox portable shortcut, I get
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window."

Is there a shortcut switch that would allow opening a new instance?

I know it's portable, but this is more about Firefox shortcut switches so I hope moderators allow this to stay in Firefox Support forum.
Last edited by c627627 on October 29th, 2020, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open the pod bay doors, Cortana.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 3:43 am

morat

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 8:30 am

I didn't test the answers in the following post.

Start multiple Firefox (Portable) instances
http://superuser.com/questions/1415942

c627627

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 10:06 am

So if the original location shortcut is
"C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe"

Then how is the advice properly applied....

1. From DanRaisch's link, if advice is
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -P "My Profile" -no-remote

then it didn't work *if* this the TARGET shortcut:
"C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe" -P "C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile" -no-remote

2. From morat's link, if advice is
firefox -no-remote -profile "profile_path"

then it didn't work *if* this the TARGET shortcut:
"C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe" -no-remote -profile "C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile"

It's possible that I got the TARGET code wrong, could you look at it above and see?

morat

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 3:05 pm

1. Are you trying to run two instances of the same profile?

2. Are you trying to run two instances of different profiles?

I would think (1) isn't possible.

c627627

Post Posted October 26th, 2020, 4:13 pm

If there only is one single portable, I'd like to run two instances of that one single portable.

So I know how to run different profiles at the same time, and I know that installed Firefox can be opened as many times as you want, but if one single portable folder cannot be started twice - then that would be the answer to this thread - that it cannot be done.

It would be nice if double clicking on the Portable shortcut could simply open a new window - I mean simply clicking on
File > New Window
gets this done -- so I thought maybe there was a shortcut extension that could just do File > New Window? I guess not. Thank you very much for trying to help.

therube

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 10:51 am

I know it's portable, but this is more about Firefox shortcut extensions so I hope moderators allow this to stay in Firefox Support forum.

Don't say that.
(From the little that I know) you always had to change a setting in Firefox Portable in order to use multiple instances.

And with FF's new "improved" Profile management system... So I'd think it is at Portable Apps that you need to start your inquire (unless someone here happens to know) as this will most likely end up being Portable Apps specific.

OK so seems morat's answer, Method 2, should work.

Running multiple instances at the same time...

multiple instances ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

therube

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 10:56 am

So are you trying to run multiple (Portable) instances simultaneously, or are you trying to open a new window in an existing (Portable) instance?

If the latter, copy (Portable) desktop shortcut, changing that copy, adding the --new-window switch, & see if that is accepted (passed on to firefox.exe)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

c627627

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Thank you for posting, let me simplify the question.
One single FirefoxPortable.exe shortcut.

You may only double click on this shortcut once.
If you double click on it again, you get a relatively LONG pause then
"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window."

*** The only thing I want to do is not go through that, and just get a new FirefoxPortable window. That's it. ***

Adding --new-window resulted in the same (frustrating) sequence of a long pause then

morat

Post Posted October 27th, 2020, 11:11 pm

I created a desktop shortcut with the following properties.

Target: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
Start in: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\FirefoxPortable

Each time I double click the desktop shortcut a new window opens.

I think it's crazy trying to run two instances with the same profile. Both instances would use the same sqlite databases and the same prefs.js file.

c627627

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 12:31 am

Thank you.
I've been using Firefox since version 0.x Beta and it is embarrassing that I failed to test a brand new install like you did.

Turns out there was nothing wrong with my profile. The culprit was file FirefoxPortable.ini, which is placed next to FirefoxPortable.exe and *not* inside the profile folder, that file: FirefoxPortable.ini contained line
AllowMultipleInstances=true

Paradoxically - *removing* line AllowMultipleInstances=true allows multiple instances to open. That one line caused all this.

c627627

Post Posted October 29th, 2020, 10:30 am

So the plot thickens. I knew there was a reason for that line and this is it:
Allows separate Firefox Portables to run.

But that very same line then prevents more than one window of one single Firefox Portable to run.

In other words, it seems like you have a choice. Either run multiple profiles. Or run multiple windows of one profile.

You can't run both multiple profiles AND more than one window of any individual profile.

Unless someone knows of a different switch or a line in .ini file?

therube

Post Posted November 2nd, 2020, 11:52 am

If the latter, copy (Portable) desktop shortcut, changing that copy, adding the --new-window switch, & see if that is accepted (passed on to firefox.exe)?

Did you try to see what it does?

Are we on 52 or Quantum?

A -no-remote'd instance, by its nature, can't communicate with external requests.
Whether Portable + Quantum work like Portable + 52, no clue?

c627627

Post Posted November 3rd, 2020, 10:26 am

This thread is about the latest version of Firefox Portable, not old versions of Firefox.

We have discovered that the cause of why only one instance of Firefox Portable can be opened is the line
which was inserted into FirefoxPortable.ini to allow different Firefox Portable folders to be opened at the same time.

Then concluded that we have a choice:
Run multiple profiles. Or run multiple windows of one profile.

You can't run both multiple profiles AND more than one window of any individual profile.

Then I speculated that maybe there was a different switch or a different line in .ini file to allow both multiple profiles AND more than one window of any individual profile.
To answer your question: with Target: "C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe" --new-window
the same thing happens, long pause, then

An error caused by line AllowMultipleInstances=true inserted into FirefoxPortable.ini.

So we are back to the same conclusion that

Unless there is a different switch?

Return to Firefox Support