[RESOLVED] browser.region.update.region cannot be changed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

[RESOLVED] browser.region.update.region cannot be changed

Post by ineuw »

This is posted from Linux Mint 20.0.
I am in Canada.
The Linux Mint is US version with the region and language is also set to US.

Purged the LM version of Firefox 82.0.2, including the two /usr/lib/ firefox folders.
Blocked installation of the same in Synaptic.
Downloaded the US version from the Mozilla repository and installed it in /opt/firefox.
Replaced old Firefox symlinks to point to /opt/firefox.
Opened prefs.js and noticed that "browser.region.update.region" is still set to CA.
Created opt/firefox/defaults/pref/autoconfig.js

Code: Select all

pref("general.config.filename", "firefox.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
Created /opt/firefox/firefox.cfg

// firefox.cfg IMPORTANT: Start your code on the 2nd line
pref("browser.backspace_action", 2);
pref("permissions.default.shortcuts", 2);
pref("browser.region.update.region", "US");
I tried setting this option to US but cannot be changed by firefox.cfg, prefs.js, or user.js and it is causing me language issues. Who enforces this Mozilla or Linux Mint and how? Also aware of the different prefixes:

pref(" = in cfg.
user_pref(" = prefs.js
user_prefs(" = user.js

The about:support shows the following language settings:

Application Settings

Requested Locales 	["en-US"]
Available Locales 	["en-US"]
App Locales 	["en-US"]
Regional Preferences 	["en-US"]
Default Locale 	"en-US"
Operating System

System Locales 	["en-US"]
P.S.: The identical installation steps in Windows 10 is also "CA".
Last edited by ineuw on November 21st, 2020, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
Grumpus

Re: browser.region.update.region cannot be changed

Post by Grumpus »

As to Mint or most Linux OS it could be the system locale call picked up by Firefox.
There were some issues with the opt installs when people were trying different setup but that may also pick up on the system setting.
You could try changing Regdomain to a country and see what happens with a cold boot and a reopen of Firefox.
But I'm just guessing here.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

You may be on to something with Regdomain. Everything else you mentioned was verified. My system locale and everything else is US. In the meanwhile, I created a bug report on Bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1676549 and also pasted the link to this post. I will patiently wait for their verdict.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can't change these region prefs, as they are set according to your current location, see:
https://searchfox.org/mozilla-release/s ... Region.jsm
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Again my thanks for digging to help me. I hope that this is more of a security issue, but the code doesn't mention why it's used. As long as it doesn't interfere with my language/spellcheck settings and that's my only concern. In the meantime, I will see what comments are accumulated in my bug report.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

When locating services are applied in programs and the basic system it may become or already is impossible to hide your location in all ways.
It would seem to me to be able to control location you would have to alleviate the system and all programs of any or all GPS functions , plus time and weather.
This would allow the generic or neutral base for the change of location.
Example: In the case of time, if you use something like NTP which uses the Internet for adjustments and settings based on various network servers this would reveal
a general location, also Google has a hand in locations which might not be fully controllable due to your connection ISP.
Also there's no easy way of telling what is connection unless you have a way of identifying the ports activity. 123 is the regular time oport but there are others.
There al;so appear to be overrides which require a general nit picking approach to the various time calls and configuration files.
This is from a little bit of experience and may be bupkis. :-k
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Not bupkis. I accept this situation and have no issues with any of it. It's the state of the world we live in. I just don't want Firefox to be modified unexpectedly and institute changes while I work. When not annoyed, I am laughing because they installed Amazon.UK as my search engine. What process decided to do this is beyond me.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Just for laughs, what was your language setting in Firefox?
You have alternates, it might be one of those things where the language is picked up before the locale, again, just a guess.
Thinking language setting parallel with the current locale, if not maybe system confusion or someone thinks Canada is still a crown colony, is it still?
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Every setting in Windows and Linux, including primary locales, secondary locales, keyboard, system language, Firefox defaults, are all "en-US". Only use one keyboard definition, "en-US" because I memorized the accented ANSI character codes.

Just copied this from about:support

Internationalization & Localization
Application Settings
Requested Locales 	["en-US"]
Available Locales 	["en-US"]
App Locales 	["en-US"]
Default Locale 	"en-US"
Operating System
System Locales 	["en-US"]
P.S:Canada is not a colony, but a part of the British Commonwealth.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

On system side - Open Caja or Nemo (caja preferred) as admin.
Search for Language. In the list Language-Tools - there may be something there.
One of the files (most are script or text) had some mention of language matching locale control.
You might also want to look at the search engines listed in /usr/lib/firefox - search engines.
Seems wrong with the en-US settings to be getting Amazon.UK
While as admin in caja or nemo see what comes up for Amazon in general.
There's also the possible issue of the Unity scopes having some influence.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Oblique thought = In about:config look at Int'l.locale.requested.
Look at - /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/distribution.ini at the bottom of the page.
This can also be edited but changes with each update - allows an edit of locale and search engines.
Also look in - /usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences - note the hyphenation list, it may be hyphenation relative to Int'l locale requested is confusing the issue.
I usually edit these before install removing unwanted search engines, setting locale and modifying the hyphenation list.
The hyphenation list is picked up from Libre-Office hyphenation on some Linux systems and may be similar in MS's version of Office.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Apologies for the late reply. The int'l.locale.requested is en-US. When I purged the LM installed Firefox (and blocked it completely from installing and upgrading itself), I also deleted all Firefox folders and files, except the image files. So these must be somewhere in the /opt folder.

It will be another day before I will be verify it. Life got in the way . . . again, and I am using a Windows laptop. No access to Linux until tomorrow.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Grumpus wrote:Oblique thought = In about:config look at Intl.locale.requested......
/usr/lib/firefox and every other related folder and files no longer exist in my Linux Mint, having deleted every "firefox" file except the icon files. Firefox is also blocked from being installed, so it's not included in updates or upgrades.

The aforementioned folders and files do not exist in the /opt/firefox installation.

In both Windows 10 and Linux Mint, these preferences are:

Intl.locale.requested = en-US, 
browser.region.update.region = CA.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

There is a new comment on bugzilla on the issue https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1676549. Also found the following useful info. https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... egion.html. It is set by GPS location coordinates and doubt if it can be changed. After reading and checking related preference settings in about:config, this has no effect on my language setting and consider the issue to be resolved