Configuring login and autofill

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Ed1

Configuring login and autofill

Post by Ed1 »

I am having trouble getting FF (84.0.1) to autofill login credentials for a particular site. It works for the same site using Chrome. The site's login procedure is to click on a login button, then a new small FF window opens with boxes to insert login credentials and then press another login button. FF does not fill in those credentials, although in the User box recent credential appears for selection and when selected it fills in. The Password box has to be typed in manually. On Chrome, both credentials are filled in automatically and I just have to press the login button in the small login window.

The small signon window for this site does not display the key icon in the address bar. I believe this key icon is used to save the login credentials to FF's password manager (Lockwise). But I entered the base domain into the Password Manager manually and it doesn't autofill.

I have looked at the signon settings in about:config. I toggled this setting to no effect: signons.autofillForms.autocompleteOff

Are there other about:config settings to try? I am hoping to get the autofill working automatically for this one site (or a few that I decide on), not for all sites.
dickvl

Re: Configuring login and autofill

Post by dickvl »

Do you have Fill Login and Fill Password in the right-click context menu of this form, so Firefox at least detects this as as saved login?

Suggestions shown in a login drop-down list are only coming from Lockwise if they have a key symbol in front, otherwise they come from saved form data.

If this doesn't work then it is likely that you didn't create this login in Lockwise for the correct origin (protocol and domain, nothing else appended), so you can possibly check this in the Inspector to see if this form is in an iframe.

Firefox should offer to store this login if you have enabled storing passwords and aren't in Private Browsing mode.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks for the info, dickvl. With your comments, I have at least some progress.

I'm not sure I understand exactly how Firefox inserts saved login credentials from the Lockwise password manager. I assumed it was automatic. What I am now seeing is that for each logon, I need to right-click on the Username box, then click the menu choice to autofill the saved name. Then Firefox inserts both the Username and the Password and I can click the login button. That all works, but it seems like a lot of steps required for each logon. Is this the expected way to use the Lockwise password manager?

With Chrome, the credentials are immediately filled in automatically as soon as the logon screen appears, so only one click on the logon button is required.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

One reason Firefox might not fill in the form automatically is if it's on an HTTP connection instead of HTTPS.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks, jscher2000.

I just checked. Either secure or insecure connection (such as mozillazine), the credentials don't fill in automatically. I have to click on the username box, choose a fill-in option (which then does fill in both the username and the password correctly) and then press the login button.

Is this the intended Firefox method, or is there something peculiar going on with my settings?
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

Is this box checked on the Options page, Privacy & Security panel, Logins and Passwords section:

[X] Autofill logins and passwords

Although, normally, even if it's not checked, on HTTPS pages a drop-down automatically opens when the cursor enters the username field so you don't need to right-click.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Yes, that autofill setting is checked.

What I am trying to understand is whether the expected behavior is for the username and password boxes fill in by themselves as soon as the page with the boxes loads. Or is it instead for the user to have to click into the username box first and then expect a drop down box from which to select the username to be filled in.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

I don't allow autofill, so I always get a drop-down springing open showing my username(s) for the site. However, I think autofill is supposed to autofill (assuming there is only one login saved for the site and it's HTTPS).