MozillaZine

Moving Bookmarks Toolbar and Hamburger

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
charscot

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 4:33 am

Hi. I am trying to get the current version of FF to replicate my old version and I cannot get the bookmarks toolbar to go to the bottom of the screen and the hamburger icon to go to the top left rather than the top right.

I have tried using Aris' excellent css coding but for some reason I am failing to make it work (I was fine editing the userchrome on this older version). Can anyone post the entry for moving the toolbar to the bottom of the screen and to move the hamburger from top right to top left please ?

Or alternatively come up with another solution as I am clearly making a mess of this.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers

Rich

charscot

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 7:04 am

Alternatively any possibility of adding an extra toolbar that can act as a combination bookmarks and other add ons bar that can be moved to the bottom of the screen ?
Cheers

Rich

dickvl

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 9:16 am

What Firefox version are you using, since your user agent shows Firefox 47 ?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0

charscot

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 9:39 am

Sorry, as mentioned in my post above I want to get the newest version of FF to replicate my old version which I am currently using.

For a long time a add on I use every day and couldn't go without had no add on that worked on later versions than this one and I became aware of an add on yesterday that replicates that behaviour so wanted to set up fully the latest version of FF and leave this old version in the past. Unfortunately I am struggling to get past the basics of just having it look similar, never mind the actual productivity side of things and I am just hoping I can get it to have a similar look and feel and I can find work-arounds for the rest of it.
Cheers

Rich

dickvl

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 2:52 pm

This code in userChrome.css should position the "3-bar" Firefox menu button at the left end of the Navigation Toolbar.
#PanelUI-button {-moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important; color:#88f;}

If you use @media rules like this then you need to change browser.xul to browser.xhtml
@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xhtml") {...}

charscot

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 7:12 pm

dickvl wrote:This code in userChrome.css should position the "3-bar" Firefox menu button at the left end of the Navigation Toolbar.
#PanelUI-button {-moz-box-ordinal-group: 0 !important; color:#88f;}

Thanks, this worked perfectly.

dickvl wrote:
If you use @media rules like this then you need to change browser.xul to browser.xhtml
@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xhtml") {...}

Sorry, having a dim moment (admittedly one that seems to have lasted most of my life). Not following what this instruction is actually doing ? I did the first piece of code for the hamburger and it worked, couldn't see any change when adding this second piece of code to the userChrome or does it go somewhere else ?

Thanks for replying, just need to work out how to get the bookmarks toolbar moved/add an extra toolbar working as a bookmark/add ons combo done now.
Cheers

Rich

charscot

Post Posted February 16th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Okay, proving my dumbness I have fixed the issue getting the bookmarks bar moved via Aris' excellent code and I exceeded my usual stupidity.

Still not sure what the @mediarules bit means (sorry) but I have the two aspects I asked about now fixed so many many thanks.

Next step is trying to find a way of seeing tab history on the tab and then removing the back and forward buttons. Hopefully find an app for the former and css code for the latter (may end up posting a new thread for these if unsuccessful).

Thanks again.
Cheers

Rich

Return to Firefox Support