Frequent ESET BPP Popups - Not in Edge

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
costark

Frequent ESET BPP Popups - Not in Edge

Post by costark »

BPP = Banking & Pmt Protection feature...........

EDIT 4/18/21: The BPP Popups have inexplicably, and Thankfully, Stopped for now. Fingers crossed
Didn't want to Bump Threads for this since I was the Only victim......

Per the BPP description below Can anyone offer anything about FF87 that might cause these New, frequent & unintended popups? Many Thanks!

In the last week I have had the ESET BPP window (separate Green-border FF Window -- for designated sites Only --) popup a lot when I'm viewing Non-BPP-designated sites, even the FF Default Home Page, which is 80 Top Sites for me.
It doesn't happen in Edge
, and in the ESET Forum I only got as far as Re-Install and try it - then pursue a FF cause.
Opening this Forum produced a BPP page, Deleted, re-appeared 5 seconds later, Deleted, OK.
I opened a Test Profile, clk'd This Forum shtcut, and within 5 seconds a BPP popup appeared.

ESET Bank & Pmt Protection: BBP can best be described as "hardening" your browser against Malware attacks, especially those employed by banking trojans and the like.
If you observe a BPP session running in Process Explorer, -- you will see your Browser -- running as a child process under Eset's kernel process, ekrn.exe.
You will also see eOPPFrame.exe running as a child process that additionally assists with detection of any browser tampering
Finally, Eset injects a .dll into the browser that will scramble all your keystrokes so you're protected against both browser based and global keyloggers
Last edited by costark on April 19th, 2021, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W10 22H2 - SSD-HDD i5 12G -
therube

Re: Frequent ESET BPP Popups - Not in Edge

Post by therube »

Your test profile was clean, i.e., no extensions & no Preference changes?

(I know nothing of BPP, but to me, if you need a "feature" that injects a .dll [isn't injecting a .dll a malicious act ;-)] into your browser, then runs that browser [session, instance, window... got me?] as a child to some greater-then-thou ekrn.exe process...

Who-wee, that would sure be a turn off to me :-).)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
costark

Post by costark »

Thanks for the Reply. Pure Test Profile got the popup ... All this is above my pay grade -- but I Do Trust ESET and KNEW that this issue Involving 2 Apps would Not likely be resolved.

I just had to ask on the odd chance that something clicked in someone's head.

With all the Security settings and Addons - I'm even on STRICT Enhanced Tracing Protection (no issues) -- it's a wonder I reach a web-site.
No worries. I'll press-on and keep Deleting the BPP popups.
jscher2000

Post by jscher2000 »

The popup is a suggestion to re-open the page in a protected browser, or the popup is a separate browser window that ESET already launched?

Is there a Firefox extension coordinating that feature or does ESET monitor your requests externally and decide based on what it sees there?
costark

Post by costark »

jscher2000 wrote:The popup is a suggestion to re-open the page in a protected browser, or the popup is a separate browser window that ESET already launched?

Is there a Firefox extension coordinating that feature or does ESET monitor your requests externally and decide based on what it sees there?
EDIT 4/18/21: The BPP Popups have inexplicably, and Thankfully, Stopped for now. Fingers crossed
Didn't want to Bump Threads for this since I was the Only victim......
======================================================================================

No FF Addon.... In ESET Advanced Setup you First have the Option to Activate the BPP feature.

When Chk'd Yes you then can setup Specific Sites as Normal = No BPP, (ASK) 2-Options for "BPP or Normal This Time Only", OR Permanent Designation to Always Open this site in BPP... (I actually don't know why there is a NO-BPP option for a site you list, unless it's for a temporary Test.)

Something is causing a NON-Specified site - not even in the List I created - to trigger the BPP popup page, which is a separate Instance of Firefox in Task Mgr.
If I Clk on a "BPP-designated" Bank shtcut in Task Mgr I get 2 consecutive Rows of -- Firefox (8) -- ....

I get BPP sometimes just opening the Home page OR Clk + for New Tab, which is 80 Top Sites as indicated prior.
AND, it hasn't happened in Edge Chrome.

I really think the extra security is worth the grief, and maybe a subsequent update of ESET or FF will remedy this.
I Appreciate the interest but I know it's hard to diagnose interaction with 2 apps, unless you're Spock doing a mind-meld..

ONLY 2 Non-BPP Tabs are open and I see this in Task Mgr ....................