Firefox keeps changing the PDF treatment options.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
RobertAlder

Firefox keeps changing the PDF treatment options.

Post by RobertAlder »

It's so maddening. Somehow, one of the options for links to PDF files keeps reverting to 'Save" instead of "Use Foxit Reader 9.1". The other PDF application instructions options don't change.

Firefox Options > General >Applications (Choose how Firefox handles the files you download from the web or the applications you use while browsing.)

Portable Document Format (PDF) (application/binary) (Always stays Use Foxit Reader 9.1")
Portable Document Format (PDF) (application/pdf) (Reverts to Save for reasons unknown. And I have to go fix it! Grrrrr!!!)
Portable Document Format (PDF) (application/x-download) (Always stays Use Foxit Reader 9.1")

Anyone know why this happens? Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox keeps changing the PDF treatment options.

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running any clean up utility like Ccleaner?
therube

Post by therube »

All pdf's or only particular pdf's?

If only particular, then the mime-type might be incorrect (on the serving system), & that could cause FF to ask "what do you want to do?".

URL to pdf's that don't act correctly?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RobertAlder

Post by RobertAlder »

Sorry didn't get back to you. Don't get advice about posted replies and forgot to check for new postings.

All I know is that after using "Settings" > "Options" > "General" > "Applications" to set all three PDF reference to "Use Foxit Reader 9.1" it works for a while (even days or weeks?) and then, for some reason that one PDF setting gets changed back "Save File". I realize the problem when ti doesn't automatically open the PDF reader so I have to go to my download folder to find the just-saved PDF file and open it from there. Then, of course I change the setting again and everything is fine for a while until one day it gets set back to "Save file." Why is this?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you running any clean up utility like Ccleaner?
RobertAlder

Post by RobertAlder »

Nope. Not running any utility like that.